• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this be enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hrhrhrFOOT

My soon to be computer:
athlon xp2100+ tbred
Pro Source Full Tower case Model 606LUNA
PC Chips Motherboard for AMD Processors, Model M811LU
Glacialtech IGLOO 2450 PRO (AMD/INTEL) CPU Cooler. For Athlon XP 3200+, 1.4GHz. All duron; P III 1.4GHz; Celeron 1.4GHz.
nVidia g4000 32mb video card
samsung pc2100 128mb ddram
8mb hard drive(forgot vendor)

i found 80mm case fans on newegg selling for $2, and my case supports up to 4 fans, so would getting 4 of those fans help with the cooling?
Will all of the above be enough for my computer?

Please bear in mind that i am under an extremely tight budget. Thanks for your time.

that's not a bad set-up. Don't forget thermal paste and a sound card. I would say try to get at least 256 ram though.

Cyrix_2k said:
8 megs CACHE, Jognt.

umm no i think he meant 8Gb... i don't think that old of an hdd will have 8mg cache.

yes i think some more ram will do you alot of good

eheheh

yes it is an 8gb hard drive. Did i saw 8mb? I meant gb. Anyways yeah i dont think ill need that much ram. I'm gonna use linux. Gentoo to be exact. My only question is if anyone knows where i can get a hard drive cheap. Thats the only thing stopping me from building an entire computer. Just so you know, as of now, the total is $150 for everything. Unfortunately, i only have $55 >_<
however, i am hoping i can make a bit of money by selling some video games. Selling about 3 of them would give me about $90. 90+45 = almost enough money. I'll borrow a couple dollars from my sister and i'll be able to build a computer! Oh man am i psyched. I also have another question: how much can i OC my processor before it fries with the cooling i have specified?

Where are you getting this stuff from?

1) Go for an XP 1800/1700. $50 ish but OCs just as well.

2) Get a decent motherboard, with good BIOS options. for cheapness I think an Asus A7V8X without anything like SATA/RAID or whatever will do.

3) HDs aren't cheap. You could try to get one second-hand.
4) Cooler? I dunno, you can get a cheapo Akasa one for $10

$150 is pushing it lots. I don't think you can do an AMD (modern) system for that.

hmm if i buy it from gameve they give free sh and its a guarenteed tbred b
that'll shave of a good $20
only thing is, now i need a good mobo under $60
the one im looking at is the Biostar M7VIG PRO mobo
will it be able to overclock well?

Dicth the PCCHIPS and you have something a LOT better. If you don't ditch it, heres a forum for PCCHIP problems and fixes/workarounds
http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q3998142-bin/cgi-bin/ibrd/ikonboard.cgi

When I moved out I picked a cheap prebuilt computer since I was just getting by using my parents computer before. Soon did I learn how much of a pain the M810LMR was, such as the AGP 2.0 that only works with a small % of cards, that you then need to dumb down to 1X mode using powerstrip(despite it being called a AGP4X board). If the computers purpose will be web surfing and email, the PCCHIPS board should be fine(thats what mine is now doing after being sold/given to gf's mom).

Another reason I won't trust anything from PCCHIPS
PC Chips fake cache 486
http://www.redhill.net.au/b-bad.html

If you plan on doing anything more than that, save yourself the grief and buy ANYTHING else(I recomend any Nforce2 board).

yeah im not using that one anymore.
i decided to use the MSI K7N2 Delta-L nforce2mobo. Only $56 :D
im stuck between two things. Should i buy the $50 amd 1700+ chip and OC to 2.3 ghz? Or should i buy the $60 2100+ chip and OC to however high it goes? Please help.

Back