• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Couple of questions..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Comacozy

My computer starts are:

-AMD XP 3000+ (333mhz FSB) @ 1.67ghz
-Asus A78NX Deluxe (400mhz FSB, nForce2 SPP (Ultra 400) Chipset
-512mb PC3200 Kingston ValueRam
-Asus v9950 Ultra (Geforce FX 5900 Ultra 256mb)
-60 gig Maxtor HD @ 7200 rpm
-Soundblaster Live 5.1! X-Gamer
- A-Open PS @ 3.3v, +5V, +12V = 280W Max

I'm New to OC'ers.. So, please bear with me, and if possible explain the OC lingo if u use it.. lol =p

I just upgraded my computer here just recently... But i have a few question.. For running a 3000+, ive got it at such a slow ghz.. I wasnt too sure how high I should have went.. Any suggestions on a speed i should be running atleast..?

Also, I was going to run to bigfoot.com and grab a higher end water-cooling system so i can OC this beast.. Once again, any suggestions for a cooler? I was planning on getting one that'd link my cpu and vid card.. even tho the card has a really nice copper plate on it.. I dont like it..

Also, is there a site or something.. (maybe even something within OC here) that can explain a noobish way to OC.. I know how computers work, and i know how to fix em.. but to be go beyond that, and to tinker with its internals, thats where i havent ventured yet :p.. Also, is there a way I can find out what my case is? Its big muther.. Stands bout 2.5 feet tall.. more or less.. But i wanna put some mods into it.. like..Some fans (any suggestions here too?) and little things like: A tinted glass face, neon light, black light.. etc etc.. lol.. I want to make it pretty, when i get it to hum like an angel (with ur guys' help of course)

Thanks muchly, If u got any questions.. Please ask

For overclocking, you'll want a good cooling device. With water you can probably get your CPU to 2.2 - 2.5 ghz. With a stock cooling device I'd hesitate to go above 2 Ghz.

What you've got it set at now is 10 x 166. 10 is the multplyer and 166 is the FSB. Your ram can probably do 200 FSB or maybe a little less. Your multiplyer can be set as high as 12.5 without modding the CPU. You'll also need to increase the vdimm and vcore voltages for overclocking. And you'll need a program like folding@home or prime95 to test the stability of new settings.

There's plenty of information on these forums, so start scoping teh Asus AMD board section for threads about overclocking with that motherboard.

As for case-modding, there's a lot of info about that here too. www.xiode.com might be a good place to buy some supplies for that. At least 4 case fans is a good start for keeping your box cool...

You will definetly need a new power supply. 280w is way way under par for running an Xp3000+ and a Fx5900 never mind the rest of your system.

The Xp3000+ runs at 166mhz X 13.5 - 2.167ghz as standard.
Get a decent PSU like an Antec True Power 430w and you should be sorted.

Cooling wise if you get water cooling you will have to be prepared to cut holes in your case , remove and reinstall all your components.....

An Slk800 or 900 with a TT smart Fan II , should be an ideal cooler for you. Prob the best air cooler you can buy and far less risk involved :) . [edit] just saw your motherboard , i think you might have to bend the capasitors on that board to fit the Slk - am not 100% , something to watch mabye.

With the SLK900, I had to mill off where the heat sink was contacting the capacitors. I thought to bend a capacitor was bad.

Here's another AMD OC guide:
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=376

I believe the stock speed for the 3000+ is 2166MHz, or 13x166, you might want to start out running it at its intended speed.

edit:
In addition to reading guides, poke around in the old articles at the overclcokers.com home page, and hag around the forums for a while. You should make sure you know exactly what you're doing and what the risks are before you start.

Back