• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n3xu5

alright, lay it on me, which ram is gonna give me a better chance at overclocking higher with a 2500+ barton and a nf7-s rev2 mobo? I was gonna go for mushkin but man my budget justgot wacked...:(

I'm thinking buffalo, maybe even Kingston Hyper X. Whats the nf7-s supprt up to? pc3700? gonna be 1 gb of ram total in the end. Oh and i know BH-5 is the way to go :D

Also gimme some linkies maybe from newegg or where ever for the "better buys" thx..

I'll qualify this by saying I'm an Intel guy, but I don't believe AMD systems can get a substantial boost from anything over PC3200. In fact, I don't know how far over 200 MHz FSB they are good for - that is definitely something to look at.

The NF-7 supports up to PC3200 (DDR400). Get some bh5 with good latencies, at least PC3200, and you can't go wrong.

Anyone else know anything about KHX or buffalo? i might be able to muster out $280 for the Mushkin Level 2 pc3200 i was thinking about originally, but if i spent less than $200 it would really help my budget.

BTW i dont know which buffalo on newegg.com is the "right type"

The picture is pretty worthless. It is not supposed to be an exact depiction of what you are ordering.

It was my understanding that Bufallo PC3200 uses Winbond BH-5 modules. Is this incorrect?

Probably not.
the pc3700 has been reported BH-5 (so does the picture), and the price is almost the same so why bother to take the chance? (and getting a lower rated ram..)

Buffalo PC3200 uses Winbond CH-5 chips. They use to have BH-5 chips, but quit just about the same time as most of the other makers. Buffalo most likely saved its remaining batches of Winbond BH-5 chips for their higher priced, overclocked PC3700 modules. As of now, I havn't heard of any Buffalo PC3700 coming with CH-5 chips.

Ok, sorry for the mixup, and thanks for the clarification. I hate buying memory; it's so hard to keep up with all of the changing info, especially when companies aren't too open about exactly what chips they use.

be warned that there is issues with hyperx pc3000 and nf7's... just in case

I got Buffalo PC3700 from Newegg at the end of July. It's BH-5 and does 210MHz 6222 easily.

hey Zap37, by any chance are you using the 2500+ Barton? if not what cpu are you using? How far can you push it stable?

be warned that there is issues with hyperx pc3000 and nf7's... just in case

Please elaborate on this. Like provide links of proof. I'm about to get the PC3000 becuase its $20 cheaper(per stick) than the 3200. I'm was going with the PC3000 because Larva recommended them over the 3200s

n3xu5 said:
hey Zap37, by any chance are you using the 2500+ Barton? if not what cpu are you using? How far can you push it stable?
Yes, there isn't a non-Barton 2500+. Right now I have it at 2328MHz at about 1.9v, but it just can't do 2400MHz, even when I push the voltage to 2.1v!

Still, not a bad overclock and the price was good.

dryars said:
So is there a way to find out which revision the sticks are? or is A00 the 512 stick and A01 the 256?

if you have hyperx look at the sticker on the lame heatspreaders. i beleive one is BH-5 and the other is CH-5. PC3000 i beleive comes in two flavors, BH-5 and BH-6... with BH-5 being A00 or whatever.

:rolleyes: correct me if i am wrong, this is what i have been able to put together from searching around the net...

Last edited:
Back