• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 8120 Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foopsz

Made a post about this a year ago. (Link to that post) About overclocking my 8120. But now I can see its starting to under perform and I really want to overclock it now because I don't have enough money to buy a New 8320 or a Intel CPU.

So I am on a budget maybe 100 dollars max to spend on a CPU Cooler and Power Supply. I also want to overclock my AMD 8120 I have a stock fan right now plan on getting a Hyper 212 Evo to give me some cooler temps and so I can overclock. Little story my friend has a 750 Ti and a i5 and gets like 250 FPS in CS:GO and I want to have high FPS like that.

I did this Core unparking thing gave me about 30+ more FPS. (used bitsum Coreparkcontrol tool)

I still want to play games like Planetside 2 and stuff with better FPS. So I am looking for some safe overclocking I have been told before my MOBO is not good enough for a overclock. But Is it good for a slight overclock to like 3.8Mhz or 3.5Mhz from 3.1Mhz right now.

So Budget is 100 dollars so that's including that new power supply which I don't know which one to get right now.

Current build (Had to change it today because my Power Supply blew so I had to put my old Graphics card and Power Supply in until I get a new one.)
Power Supply had a coil whine and it blew up due to overheating because the coil whine was annoying so I but the computer on the ground(was on my desk).
+ Processor: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz
+ Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3
+ Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 550 Ti EVGA
+ RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb 1600
+ SSD: Kingston V300 128GB
+ HDD: Western Digital 1Tb HDD Caviar Green
+ Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
+ Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 TR-430
+ Computer Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912

Build once I get my new Power Supply
+ Processor: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz
+ Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3
+ Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 760 EVGA ACX
+ RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb 1600
+ SSD: Kingston V300 128GB
+ HDD: Western Digital 1Tb HDD Caviar Green
+ Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
+ Power Supply: Can you guys recommend some power supply.
+ Computer Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912

There is nothing really to say about overclocking since the stock cpu cooler is worthless to overclock with. After you get the CM 212 EVO as I think you said you were...then maybe can get a little more out of the cpu but even then that mobo is just no so good for pushing all 8 cores all the time when loaded since that is what happens when you begin to manually adjust to speed up the cpu.

Run as AMD designed the cpu there are nver more than 1/2 the cores that are clocked up by TurboCore control of the cpu. Lot of difference when you overclock and loaded ALL 8 cores are on unless you disable some cores which might not be a bad idea trying to overclock on weak motherboard.
RGone...ster .

Back