• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800-E , 3.0 , GEIL DDR433 : I can not get it to startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burning Phoenix

I recently sold off the MB, CPU and RDRAM from one of my working systems. I replaced it with a P4C800-E , a 3.0 and GEIL DDR433 . Now the original drive has Windows XP installed already from the previous system. I get an error everytime i startup. I took this pisture with my camcorder so it's kinda blurry but you may be able to read it.
cap.bmp

I played around with various bios settings but still nothing. I even updated the bios to version 1011. After hours of trying to get past this error i pretty much gave up for the night. Also I tried to reinstall windows but that error still comes up. Sometimes it'l tell me some files are corrupt on the CD but they aren't because i just used it.

Take it you tried the F7 key, howabout a "reset configuration" option in the bios. From MS website it sounds like it might be the in memory types that is throwing the bug in there. switchttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314830&Product=winxp#appliestoh

Sounds like you need to reset CMOS on the MB. Pull jumper off 1-2 and set to 2-3 for 5-10sec...then return jumper to 1-2. I assume you've done that just wrote it out incase. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Also, try to swap the memory out if you can. I had problems with some Geil Golden Dragons on a P4P800. Problem was, they were incompatible with the board for whatever reason. I changed them with some Mushkin and everything worked perfectly from that point on.

I was kinda wondering if it were the memory

This is the third day of me attempting to get this thing running. I have Corsair PC3200XMS in my other system. i'll give that a try. If it works will Newegg let me return this memory?

Update:
I tried the Corsair form my other system and it does the samething. I then tried my HD form the other system and it does boot into windows but it does one of two things. Either it'll start rebooting in a continuous cycle after first enter windows or it sometimes seemingly starts but blanks the screen as if the video stopped.

Last edited:
NIGHT 4

Havent tried the PSU yet but in the bios it shows everything normal.

Heres where i'm at I now am using a new formatted HD.
Tested DDR in the other system and it was fine.
Currently i'm using my other system with the 3.0 chip and it and so it's not the CPU.
I get the same problems when using the working 2.4c chip.
When i try to install windows it gets to the stage where it says COPING FILES and then sometimes it can't read the files on the CD or blue screens with all kinds of errors. Here are some examples of errors it came up with.

BAD_POOL_CALLER
IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I tried a different cdrom and windows xp disk. Same problems.

So i guess it must be the MB? RIGHT?

Doesn't seem like there is much left but your MB or PSU. If you've tested ram/cpu/cdrom and even the XP disc it doesn't leave much left. What type of PSU do you have and rated power? I can tell you from experience that i have lost some hardware from a dying/faulty PSU. It can be a very tough to catch it too. Either way i do suspect its your MB or PSU at this point. Keep us posted as things progress.

i have p4p800
before two monts i have same problem but my MB won't startup
when i want turn on just fans was started and then everything stoped
i was thinking that PSu is weak (frontier 300W)
but the problem was MB

Had the same problem with my Asus A7N8X before the primary IDE channel died. I moved the drives over to the secondary channel and it worked fine. Make sure you're using the asus ide cable too - how can it make a difference you ask? Don't know but it did with my P4C800.

Last edited:
That is weird TC. I still have my P4C800 and have used different IDE cable's then the ones that came packaged. I always did wonder if you have an ATA66 or ATA133 do you really need a differnt IDE cable to handle the 133 vs the 66..or are all identical? Man that sounds so newb!

I did today try the IDE cables supplied with the board and still no difference. Other things i tried were changing the vcore , DDR voltage, single ddr and memory timings.

I did tonight manage to get windows 98 SE installed which did give me prblems. It starts but nothing runs without fatal exception errors.

I'm going to have to call ASUS tomorrow and ask them if the MB is screwed.

Burning Phoenix - I had a very similar problem with a P4c800. I tested every part and it just came down to the motherboard. Unfort. I was out of the time period to return it so I had to buy another. I am thinking of trying to go to ASUS and get another but didn't know if that was possible.

Yes weird indeed. My understanding (albeit possibly a little rusty) was that the only difference between older and newer IDE cables was the pin count. I forget where the standard changes - maybe between ata 33 and 66, or perhaps 100. Anyway when I got my p4c800 I used a plain old ata 66 drive and a newer ide cable out of my box of junk. It wasn't an asus cable, but it was an 80 conductor. My board would not recognize the drive as being the primary master regardless of what I tried. I used all of the possible ide config settings in the bios and tried all of the jumper options on the hdd. Finally in desperation I grabbed a different hdd and just by chance pulled one of the asus cables out of the box. It worked fine so I got the idea of trying the other drive with the asus cable - worked fine also. Couldn't figure that one out, but maybe there was something wrong with the other ide cable.

contacted ASUS tonight with the problem and they only set me up with a case # and sent me to the online Help Desk. I posted this info on the site for my case:

Step 1: Elimation of other hardware possibilities:
All parts are brand new Retail
CPU: 3.0c was exchanged for a 2.4c out of working system
Memory: (2 x 256) Geil DDR433 was exchanged for a pair of Corsair XMS DDR400 out of a working system
Hard Drive is new and formatted with FAT32

Step 2: Bios changes
manually set DDR timings other than SPD
set RAM divider to 320 mhz
eliminated all onboard devices such as audio, LAN, USB
updated bios to version 1011

Step 3: misc
tried different IDE cables and Hard drive / CDROM combinations
tried 3 different windows XP installation cds

reasons for trying the above:
when the installation of windows xp starts to copy files it will blue screen with various errors such as:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
BAD_POOL_CALLER
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

sometimes the files may begin to copy but eventually the system is unable to finish reading the files from the cd
Windows 98 SE was eventually installed but not without problems. Upon completion of the win98 nothing will work right. I can not install anything else from cd inside of the OS without lockups.

They'll probably take forever to get back to me and newegg.com will eventually have expired the return time for an RMA of this MB

I was having an almost identical problem a couple nights ago when I was setting up my new system.

What are your memory timings? When I figured out that it was a memory problem, I decided to go to Mushkin's website, and found this:
***The CAS latency of this memory depends on the chipset you are using. For the nforce2 chipset, the rated specs are:
CAS Latency: 2
RAS to CAS Delay: 2
Precharge Delay: 2
Active to Precharge Delay: 6
DDR Voltage 2.5-2.75V

For the Intel 875 and 865 chipsets, the rated specs are:
CAS latency: 2
RAS to CAS Delay: 3
Precharge Delay: 2
Active to Precharge Delay: 6
DDR Voltage 2.5-2.75V

Please note that this limitation is due to the chipset rather than the memory. Some customers may be able to achieve 2-2-2-6 CAS latency on the 875 and 865 chipsets, but we cannot guarantee this.
I fixed the latency issue, and it's been running perfectly ever since.

i saw these
"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
when i had a dodgy y spliter supplying my hdd with my swap file on. make sure taht you havnt got a dodgy powere lead.
or id say ide cable but u tryed it.

i think i got it working today approx 3 hours ago.

Ok heres what happened. I did everything imaginable at least i thought i did except i forgot one thing. First of all my other ASUS P4C800 had a similiar problem at the beginning which i had forgotten. I had to set the memory timings manually as mentioned by others. Well come to find out i forgot to do the same on the new MB when i changed the Corsair over to it to try out. I did however try changing memory timings while using the GEIL. Anyways this afternoon i again tried the Corsair memory because of 2 reasons. One i never had problems with ASUS products so i refuse to believe it was the MB. Second the errors i was getting i checked into and they all have to do with memory issues. So again i popped in a single corsair module and this time set the timings for them manually. It installed Windows XP without a problem. I loaded the INF files and other drivers without a problem also. Ok so everything seems good but i thought ok lets put back in the GEIL memory now. I did this and ran SETI. It would reboot within seconds of running SETI. Now i put back in the Corsair and ran SETI and here i am now ttyping on this system while SETI has run for over 3 hours.

END of STORY.
I hope Newegg.com will take this GEIL memory back.

Back