• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does the Abit IC7 have integrated LAN?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoPK!!!11

I'm looking to buy this board, I heard of this gigabyte LAN on better boards such as IC7-g and max2/3 etc.

But all I'm really looking for is "normal" LAN does this board have no LAN on it? I just need it for my router lol =/ no good getting a board that dont have lan =p

excuse my n00bness lol

Please can someone confirm this..

The IC7 has 10/100 Ethernet and the IC7-G max2/3 has 10/100/1000?

Regards

Nope, doesn't have it. If you look at the pic on Newegg or the specs listed anywhere, its not there (although specs can be overwhelming at times ;) ).

The IC7 does not have LAN. The IC7-G and IC7-Max3 have the Gigabit LAN (not Gigabyte like what the first post said). The IS7-E does have a regular LAN built in though.

I got sucked into this when I got my IC7. The socket is there but it has a piece of white tape over it and it doesnt work.

I have no idea why Abit took this route. Even the utter most crap of boards out there now offer onboard lan. It makes no sense whats so ever to make a 875 board then put no lan at all on it. If anything, it should have no sound but 10/100 lan not the other way around.

Sorry about the rant but the subject hits a soft spot with me despite the cost of a lan card. It should have been included without question.

batboy said:
I think the technical explanation is that they want you to buy the IC7-G if you want LAN.

I think there might be some truth to that...;) I've got an IC7 coming, and have a NIC set aside already for it.

With the onboard LAN on the NF7-S, and MSI K7D Master-L, I've got one handy.

IMO, I'd rather have the onboard sound than LAN, if it's halfway decent. Sound cards are a lot more expensive than NICs. Especially when about once a month someone has a NIC in their flier (CompUSA, BB, etc...) for free after a $5 MIR.

B.

From Abit Marketing
Abit Forum

>>The IC7 does not come with any LAN controller on the motherboard. http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/IC7/techspec.php
I am sorry for the inconvenience, however ABIT is one of the few motherboard manufactures takes the advantage of the Intel CSA Gigabit Eithernet. The only little problem is that the CSA chipset is not Pin to Pin compatible with the normal chipset that has 10/100 LAN build in. I am sure most of people can get 3Com, Linksys or any major brand LAN cards for under $10 at any local computer hardware stores.<<

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From Prometheus:
ABX

>>Abit uses the Intel CSA Gigalan on the IC7-G - unlike Asus or AOpen. The reason they did NOT include LAN on the IC7 version is because there are not any existing 10/100 LAN chips I am aware of that are pin-compatible with Intel CSA. In other words, it was not a simple drop-in for LAN on the IC7 and would have required a redesign to provide LAN on the IC7. This would not have been cost-effective, and I think Abit made the right choice of bringing us everything that was really important on the IC7 on the same 4-phase IC7-G board at a really GREAT price. Especially when you consider 10/100 LAN cards are so cheap they're practically free, and most people use LAN for broadband at home - where they wouldn't see ANY difference with CSA anyway.<<

I suppose a good follow-up question might be; "How many people are in a situation where they can utilize the Gigabit LAN to it's full advantage, and was it a wise engineering move to incorporate it over the normal 10/100 LAN that's more common?"

My $.02

B.

Good point, Mr. B., there really don't seem to be that many people "yet" making full use of the Gigabit LAN. Sort of like the early days of USB maybe? I reckon Abit maybe figured you could always get the IS7-E if you want a regular 10/100 on-board LAN and if you were budget minded. I know I wasn't about to pay $40 to $50 more for the Gigabit LAN when I bought my IC7, especially since I had a couple ethernet cards laying around.

batboy said:
I know I wasn't about to pay $40 to $50 more for the Gigabit LAN when I bought my IC7, especially since I had a couple ethernet cards laying around.

That's why I went with the IC7 too (plus newegg had it refurb'd for real short $....) :D

I'm not worried about it missing all the cables and I/O plate...as long as it works. I can d/l the drivers, and God knows I've got enough IDE ribbons. I haven't gone SATA yet, so I won't miss those either.

I just need to get a bloody CPU for it....LOL :rolleyes: It's been a while since I ran intel (last was a P/// 700E @ 933), so my "comeback" is gonna be a good one... :D

B.

My opinion is that they could at least added a 10/100 NIC on the regular IC7... They cost more than a couple of dollars.
But I guess they hadn't sold as many -G versions that way...

Mr. B., you might luck out, some people get the full meal deal with those refurbs (all the cables and manuals and stuff). Newegg tells you that nothing is included, just in case something is missing. Sometimes all the stuff don't get returned when people RMA the item.

Also, you mentioned that you would not miss SATA. Well, the IC7 does have 2 SATA channels and RAID. The IC7-G has 4 SATA channels and RAID. So, you're really only missing half the SATA channels and the Gigabit LAN when you opt for the IC7 over the IC7-G.

I think the gigabit LAN was a great idea. The IC7-G is a great package if you can utilize the gigabit LAN, which I believe are only people that are ON a 1000baseT LAN (or maybe live in Japan, areas with better infrastructure). That being said, if Abit did choose to put in the more popular 10/100, the IC7-G doesn't stand out at all, it would be very similar to the vanilla IC7. The two options for Abit's canterwoods would be too close to be called options at all. As it is now, the -G is aimed at a much different market than the IC7.

I'm very happy with my IC7. I had extra NICs, and haven't gotten into RAIDs when I purchased the mobo, so the IC7 was a perfect package. However if I lived in Japan and was more into RAIDs, than the IC7-G would be a great.

From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense to me (and I'm no MBA).

Back