• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quiet please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drop-Top

I have a watercooled machine that works like this.

1. 120mm blowhole in top has radiator on top, with 120mm evercool fan pulling air through it. I only have the processor watercooled. I have 2x 80mm stealth fans pulling air in front, and an 80mm evercool blowing air out.
2. my temps are 30c/35c idle and 38c/40c load.

3. My computer is noisy because of that fan that is pulling air through the radiator. I unpluged the fan and everything got more almost silent. But my temps went to 34c/39c idle and 41c/43c load. also my Video card OC got messed up because of less air blowing directly on the card from above.

4. my questons

a. if I place the fan ontop of the radiator, will that be more quiet( I would have tried it but it is a lot of effort if someone already knows.)

b. Is there any other way to make is more quiet?

Thanks

**drop-top**

Are you using a shroud? If not, then there's your problem. You could also try 7 volting your radiator fan.

Try using a zip tie or something to mount the radiator that might be alot easier...

As for the noise, only thing i can think of is maybe the shroud issue that anvil82 brought up...

is your 120 mm in intake or exhaust ? Because the way you are describing it, seems like your 120mm in is intake.... That means it's pulling hot air in your case...

A shroud is a piece of plastic/metal that will add distance between the fan and the rad (search the forum, pics are easy to finds)

Yes, it is an intake, because it is pulling cool air from outside the case to the radiator to cool the radiator. It is actually more effecient as far as cooling( I have tried both ways.) but thanks for the info about the shroud.

I have double 120's on my rad and shrouds for both. With anything over 7 volts the fans are extremely loud. The fan that pushes the air is definitely the louder of the 2.

Perhaps my shrouds are not big enough (fans mounted about 1 1/2" away from rad) but it does not matter because a fan speed controller to lower the fans below 7 volts so they are absolutely silent. The temps only went up a few degrees under load.

I did try with just 1 fan and shroud pulling the air through the radiator and I found that the fan was much much quieter then the 2 fan setup at full speed. So if you cannot decrease the voltage to your fans to around 7v then I would use the latter setup.

Back