• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optimal Temperature For CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dorimon81

I have an Athlon XP 2100+. My CPU and system temps are quite high. What are the optimal temps for my system and CPU and what should I do to lower them.

Any help would be great.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

YOu need to check your emps at load (100% cpu usage) you can run your pc at load with a bunch of different programs (Prime95 torture test, Folding@home, etc.) Anything below 50 degrees celcius is fine at load, above 60 and you should start worrying. Post your temps, and your pc cooling setup, like your heatsink fan and case fans.

Welcome....

ditto to what steve said. I've noticed most peeps around here like running in 30-40 range. there's a good poll floating around try searching for it to get some good info.

Ok, It says my CPU temps are at 52C and System is at 37C.
My system has 2 chassis fans. One intaking at the side and one exhausting at the back. My heatsink is the standard heatsink which came with the computer, but I am going to change it soon. The thing is that the room which the computer is in is so small and the computer makes is so hot and the HSF makes so much noise.

are those temps at 100% CPU load? If they are they're not bad but with a new heatsink (thermalright make good ones) and maybe a few more case fans if you can it'll be fine. Also make sure you get some arctic silver thermal grease or alternative.

If that's not "100% load temp", go to memory section and DL cpuburn4.
If it shows scary temps, decide how much cash you canspend and if you care noise.

I have already cut 1 hole for a side fan. With a Midtower case, it's kinda hard to fit more than 1 more fan, so are there specific fans that I could try with a higher CFM so I wouldn't have to add many more?

My HSF already sounds like a blow dryer. It doesn't generate more than 22 CFM. If I'm going to buy another HSF, I want a silent one and it has to generate 35-40 CFM.

dorimon81 said:
Ok, It says my CPU temps are at 52C and System is at 37C.
My system has 2 chassis fans. One intaking at the side and one exhausting at the back.

Your case temps seem a bit high, cutting the case fan grills worked wonders for me.

I'd be very concerned, not so much because those temps will necessarily "fry" your CPU, but because 37C = 100F. I often draw an analogy of the average tower Case to that of an Easy Bake Oven. And when a hodge-podge of low CFM fans are placed at the inadequatly cut and situated holes, a "Convection Easy Bake Oven".

In your situation I beleive the ideal immediate solution would be to remove the side-panel. Even if you can't deal with the added decibel level, please try it. Leave the entire side panel off, for about two hours, I surmize you'll experinece at least a 10C drop in temps at the motherboard, and similiar reduction at the CPU.

Heat is the Overclocker's nemesis, and in fact it's the microchip's cause of "Natural Death." All microprocessor's eventually expire, as heat degrades the silicon, and surrounding gate's and jucntions deteriorate, electromigration, and leakage occur. It's not a sudden event, but a slow frustrating performance degradation. You can, however; treat your CPU so that it "Live's Hard, Dies young, and leaves a great looking corpse" Cooling is the single most important variable with respect to your PC's performance, longevity, stability, and overclocking prowess. It's also one of the few variables one can actually control. I've not placed a side panel on my case in over two years. The noise did effect my mental health, but since getting the Danger Den Maze-4 Powerkit, for only $199, everything has changed, especially my temps. Of course I ealways leave my windows open ( I happen to apprciate fresh air, and being a ex-skibum love the cold), and leave my entire Danger Den set-up outside off the case. This is no more inconveinent then trying to stuff it all in the case (which is actually more difficult), nor would I consider it so extreme. Apparantly ther's some critics with an agenda, on this forum and at Madshrimps (by the name of bling_blaME" or soemthing) making personal attacks. Luckily I have loyal friends who see the truth through the bullsh t.

There are circumstances where closed cases are cooler then open. If the fans are powerful enough to create a virtual vaccum, which immediately removes kinetic energy as it escapes from component surfaces. Once the side panel is removed that airflow is interrupted, and the vaccum eliminated. As I said, in most cases, simply removing the side-panel will suffice due to Free Convection. The heat is able to rise, as aopposed to rising momentarily, only to be reabsorbed by the cases, interior, PSU, and other components which may be cooler, until an equillibrium is reahced. That same equillbrium will be attained with free convection, excpet, now you have the entire mass of the room to absorb the components knitec energy. The point of this was to introduce you to the following cooler which for $31 stmped even the Thermalright SLK700 in a head to head contest. This cooler features a pressed aluminum pin into copper base design simliar to Swiftech which costs $50 to $95. Bottom line remove the sidfe panel and then let me know the temps, and if your interested I'll tell you where to find this heatsink which comes with inetgrated fan AND reheostat;
kamakazecolage.jpg

When I take my side panel off, the temperatures stay the same. I have put an 80CM fan onto the panel and it has been helping alot. I am interested in this HSF you speak about. My HSF is like a turbine jet blowing in my ear and when I sleep, it's like im sleeping next to a tank. It's so loud. I hate it. :mad:

Back