• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aero exhaust fans (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blkgti

In another thread I mentioned that I use Cooler Master Aero fans as exhausts. Here's a pic of the setup:

Aero.jpg

This is the case, itself:

case.jpg

2xPanaflo M1A intakes
1xPanaflo M1A side
2xCooler Master Aero exhaust
92mm Panaflo H1A CPU (a 92mm U1A is on its way)
Zalman HS' on the NB and on the GPU (I'm waiting for a Zalman fan bracket which I'll use to point a near-silent fan at the HS on the GPU)

Case temps: 22-24C idle, 28C load, 20-23 ambient

those fan brackets may be restricting the aero's flows maybe try trimming them, but thats a nice setup, too bad the variable speed aeros are 13 bucks :(

Robrules18 said:
those fan brackets may be restricting the aero's flows maybe try trimming them, but thats a nice setup, too bad the variable speed aeros are 13 bucks :(

Thanks for the kind words! Actually, the openings in the brackets are a little larger than the exhaust ports on the Aero's. These are the "standard" Aero's - ~$8 from SVC. They're hooked-up to a Vantec fan controller, as are the rest of the fans in the case.

should i get a cable setup like that would it prove for better cooling?

Very nice setup you have there. Your sig answered a question for me and thats how fast can I get my NF7-S with a passive NB cooler. If you would be so kind as to touch the NB heatsink next time you think about it and post how hot it is that woudl be great.

Usually I don't like it when people use that look stuff on your wires but I must say you have it looking very clean. very nice job on it all.

Also how come you haven't put another passive heatsink on the SB?

wannaoc said:
Very nice setup you have there. Your sig answered a question for me and thats how fast can I get my NF7-S with a passive NB cooler.

His two 120mm fans located near the Passive Northbridge gets spilled airflow for sure, even though its passive in nature he most likely has excellent airflow to it.;)

wannaoc said:
Very nice setup you have there. Your sig answered a question for me and thats how fast can I get my NF7-S with a passive NB cooler. If you would be so kind as to touch the NB heatsink next time you think about it and post how hot it is that woudl be great.

The NB Zalman is just warm to the touch under load. As Silversinksam wrote, the excess airflow from the 92mm Panaflo on the HS cools the NB, too. BTW, I run the config in my sig 24/7.

Usually I don't like it when people use that look stuff on your wires but I must say you have it looking very clean. very nice job on it all.

Thank you very much!

Also how come you haven't put another passive heatsink on the SB?

I have a couple of HS' sitting around that would be great for the SB, but I haven't felt the urge to actually do it. I probably will one day, but I first would like to put HS' on the MOSFET's and see how that effects the OC.

Wow! That's a nice rig. Does the Aero's make alot of noise? I would probably go for ordinary case fans, cuz the 'dead-spot' problem is not as big with casefans as with cpufans... Still, I like the looks...

I think a fan on the northbridge would do U some good... Have a similar northbridg HS(msiK7N2-L) and adding a direct fan(50mm) of center gave me a 8-10 degr. temp. fall...

As I said, It looks F***ing great! If my rig looked like that I would put it on top of my desk, with case-window out!!!!!!!!!

Forgot to say it... If you move the cpufan to the "door-window", you could possibly get even more 'cooling-gain'... Just an idea...

SF101 said:
should i get a cable setup like that would it prove for better cooling?

It very well may, depending on how you have your current cables routed. You can probably tell from the pics that I have the round cables tucked behind the drive bays. I can't help thinking that not having small, vertical partitions throughout the case - in the form of unmanaged ribbon cables - is helpful. As I mentioned, all the fans run off a Vantec fan controller. They intake and exhaust fans are set to just above the minimum (ie. very quiet) and the case never goes above 28C under load at 20-23 ambient. Besides, round cables from SVC are cheaper than a Happy Meal!

DaWiper said:
Wow! That's a nice rig. Does the Aero's make alot of noise? I would probably go for ordinary case fans, cuz the 'dead-spot' problem is not as big with casefans as with cpufans... Still, I like the looks...

Thank you. That's very nice of you to say.

The Aero's at full speed are definitely audible. As a point of reference, I'd say they're somewhere between Panaflo L1A and M1A in amplitude. Turned down a bit with a controller, however, they're silent. I've used a variety of fans as exhausts with pretty much the same cooling results. To be perfectly honest, I like the Aero's because of the way they look and because I think that their operational principle is kinda neat. I figure that if I need to have exhaust fans and if it doesn't really matter which quality exhaust fans are used, then I might as well go for the cool-looking ones that don't make any noise in their current config.

Question: why do some people put their fans unsidedown on the heatsink? is it better to suck or blow?
yea, that sounds worse than i wanted, but it gets to the point.

schismspeak said:
blkgt, I noticed that you have the fan on your HS sucking the heat off instead of blowing down, do you get better temps that way?

I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice that :). When I took the pic, I was playing around with the orientation of the fan; normally it blows down in the HS. Interestingly, there's only a few degrees difference between the two modes under load, with blowing being the cooler of the two.

cst-07.jpg

Looks like I'll soon have a chance to do the case all over again, as i just bought a Lian-Li PC-75 in silver. The red case that I'm presently using will house a rig for my daughter; she's thrilled!

Blkgti,That looks like a good project.Can you document your project with before and after pics.I think it would be of interest to others.You do such fine work and pay attention to detail.I'll say 1 thing about that case,its setup for some serious cooling.Keep us posted.And thanks for the line on that fan.It's on the way.Your
currant rig is choice,custom and killer diller.THE FANMAN:cool:

Back