• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channeling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cubed

I'm getting 512mb (2x256mb) of Corsair XMS Series DDR400 3200 Ram Made for Dual Channeling. I have 256mb of DDR400 PC3200 Apacer Ram right now, and I wanted to know If I use my Apacer Ram while the Corsair XMS is running Dual Channeling, If it will improve performance or if it will slow down the dual channeling?

Would the answer to this basically answer his question:

What's better...

Better timings from just running the XMS alone in dual?

Or...

Higher RAM capacity from using the apacer ram along with the XMS?

I would imagine running the XMS alone would give better performance as he will probably get higher FSB and tighter timings. But would haveing more RAM be a more noticeable or advantageous benefit?

if u run all three sticks it will revert to single channel and give u 768 of memory. if u run the 2 corsair in dc youll have less memory(512) but better performance.

flapperhead said:
if u run all three sticks it will revert to single channel and give u 768 of memory. if u run the 2 corsair in dc youll have less memory(512) but better performance.

what he said...

Alright thanks alot, But will my motherboard auto Dual Channel the memory, or will I have to do anything so the motherboard will dual channel the memory? The slots I put the Dual Channel memory are the ones that are closer together right?

Why would "Mushkin Level II (2x256) Dual Pack" cost more than two seperate Mushkin Level II 256mb sticks? Do they do something extra to the RAM for dual channel? Far as I knew it was up to the motherboard for all that.

The dual channel will be automatically enabled with 2 sticks of ram... On my Asus board, its recommended to put them in slots 1 and 3.

"Dual Pack" or "TwinX (Corsair)" models are paired sticks guranteed to run at dual channel memory at higher rated timings. Corsair tests the two sticks together to ensure spec level performance and timings, and will RAM both sticks if any problems occur. Buying two separate sticks runs the risk of having one perform better or worse, each scenario requiring separate RMAs or other performance issues... Though for the most part, two good sticks of ram (ones that perform well by themselves) shouldn't have any problems running together. There are some who believe that dual/twin packs are a marketing gimmick, but I personally think the Corsair testing and QA for the twinX is worth the price premium.

Ok, I figured it was something like that. I'd rather test them myself than pay more for their testing. But yea that option is nice too. Thanks for the response.

mfjonny said:
The dual channel will be automatically enabled with 2 sticks of ram... On my Asus board, its recommended to put them in slots 1 and 3.

"Dual Pack" or "TwinX (Corsair)" models are paired sticks guranteed to run at dual channel memory at higher rated timings. Corsair tests the two sticks together to ensure spec level performance and timings, and will RAM both sticks if any problems occur. Buying two separate sticks runs the risk of having one perform better or worse, each scenario requiring separate RMAs or other performance issues... Though for the most part, two good sticks of ram (ones that perform well by themselves) shouldn't have any problems running together. There are some who believe that dual/twin packs are a marketing gimmick, but I personally think the Corsair testing and QA for the twinX is worth the price premium.

I thought they only tested to make sure they will work in dual channel... not preforme the same (as far as how much they will OC and @ what timings- this would explain why they came about the same time as Dual Channel stuff on motherboards did, and I have never seen your explination for that...). I think they are a gimmic... after all the chance that two of the same brand and model of sticks would NOT work in dual channel together is quite slim I would think. Then again I don't really have much money...

Back