• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the dif between 40C water cooled and 40C air cooled?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amino

Ok, I've seen people getting to 290+ FSB on 2.4Cs when they're water cooled, but when they're air cooled, it's just not possible. However, water cooling and air cooling keeps them at roughly the same temp... 35-40C... what's the difference?

What does watercooling have to do with 290 fsb? I don't think there's any difference when you're comparing the same temps. However, are you comparing the same system under the same conditions?

The trend you are noticing is likely with components, like Soja kind of mentioned - the WC'ed rigs likely have better components.

Noise and fan vibration, or the lack thereof, are the only differences.

Really though, you'd have to do your testing on one single rig to get comparable results. 40 degrees C on one rig, might be 50+ on another, depending on how the manufacturer obtains the temp readings.

I for one know that on my IC7-Max3 board, the temps supposively run 5-10 degrees hot. So, I could tell you at 50 load, my temps are actually 40. Another person might say 50, not knowing about how Abit measures their mobo temps.

So if you are comparing temps over the net, I wouldn't take them to heart unless they are temp readings from the same PC with the same conditions.

a water cooling system will (usually) be able to do that higher fsb (which requires a higher voltage) and maintain that good temperature (40C).
In order for air to achieve 40C it would have to be a lower voltage (and therefore fsb).
That's one important thing. If it's the same voltage there's no reason one could do higher than the other.

crimedog said:
a water cooling system will (usually) be able to do that higher fsb (which requires a higher voltage) and maintain that good temperature (40C).
In order for air to achieve 40C it would have to be a lower voltage (and therefore fsb).
That's one important thing. If it's the same voltage there's no reason one could do higher than the other.

I dissagree. You're talking about changing voltages and oc'ing higher. If you're comparing voltage to voltage, and FSB to FSB, there is no difference (up until a point). Air cooling will reach it's limit before water cooling. It's at this point where you will notice a difference. The point where you have to start upping the voltage to gain FSB is where you will see the difference.

yeah if the voltage starts to go up so will the temps,, and wc will keep it low,,

A confounding issue emerges when temperatures are taken with onboard sensors though. Aircooling employs directly mounted fans that tend to push some air over the area surrounding the actual chip... precisely where the board sensor does it's measurement. Watercooling does not have this issue.
This can translate in a 'fake' aircooling advantage. If the sensor reports 40C with air, the chip may actually be much hotter. With watercooling the same 40C value could mean that the chip is actually cooled more effectively, because it reaches the same reading without the confounding airflow over the board.

Fizz is right about the fan having an additional cooling effect on the caps, mosfets, and other things around the cpu socket which can affect temp readings. Assuming the readings were taken with a reliable method though, 40C is 40C plain and simple. However, watercooling will allow you to push the voltage alot higher before you reach a given temperature.

quote:
Originally posted by crimedog

I dissagree. You're talking about changing voltages and oc'ing higher. If you're comparing voltage to voltage, and FSB to FSB, there is no difference (up until a point). Air cooling will reach it's limit before water cooling. It's at this point where you will notice a difference. The point where you have to start upping the voltage to gain FSB is where you will see the difference.

sounds to me like it is the voltages being upped to make the 290 FSB stable. What you would have to do is check the temp on an air cooled rig at the same voltages

errrrrr, i dont know why your all talkin about voltages and all tbh...

40°C @ 250 mHz air
or
40°C @ 290 mHz WC

see the difference?

WaterCooling is way more efficient than aircooling, thus watercooling will allow you to get higher FSB's (which do ..ok.. need higher voltages)
water will just keep your temps lower with the same OC as with air, if youd want to achieve those OC's on an air rig, youd need some serious airflow (= often noise) but with water youd have only a few fans running quiet, that would cool just as good, or often even better.

btw: bad part about WC, your mosfets wont get cooled well enough (unless your running a fan over them too) which could lead to system instability...

edit: koolaid, its not my job, but please use the edit button when you forgot something in your post...(im pro edit button ;) :p)

Jognt said:
errrrrr, i dont know why your all talkin about voltages and all tbh...

40°C @ 250 mHz air
or
40°C @ 290 mHz WC

see the difference?

i don't get that, that shouldn't happen...

and go check the intel section someone has a 2.4C at 308 fsb with a SP94....

why shouldn't that happen?
that guy probably has a tornado on his sp94
you could get the same results with water cooling with a 30dba fan instead of a 60dba tornado, lol
then again its not all about the fans, its about how quickly u can remove heat from the cpu
comparing average heatsink to average waterblock, water block will remove faster
compareing a high end heatsink to high end water block, water will remove faster
some people are comparing high end air cooling with regular water cooling.. they will either be the same or one might be slightly better in the same conditions.
water cooling isn't some magical thing as well, the reason its less quiet is because you tend to use a larger fan.

but i dont' see why 40C in water should be any diff than 40C air.... and he had a tornado :D

If you see it from an really extreme angel, you could match watercooling temps. and even beat them with something like this. Just turn off/disable the heatstrings. Mount it on the side. And there you have it! Extreme noise... Point is water absorbes more heat faster than normal aircooling does..

Back