• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are all AMD 2500+ CPUs A Barton?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickbuol

I received my Week 44 2500+ on Friday, and went out of town for the weekend. ANyhow, I am looking to go to my local CompUSA and see if they have any pre week 39 2500+ and do a swap (since mine isn't open yet).

I just was wondering if all 2500+ chips are Bartons?

Thanks everyone.

Well, actually (as if you didn't know), they don't know that I am doing it. I will (hopefully) be getting a pre week 39 CPU, and they will get the exact CPU back, but a few production weeks newer.

Who knows if they actually have any left in stock. Their web site says "no", but I saw some there late last week (before I get my week 44 proc and before I knew to look).

Rats! I checked CompUSA, and NONE of their stores in Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska, or Missouri have ANY 2500+ CPUs.

I checked with BestBuy, and they don't stock CPUs in store, I checked a couple local computer stores, no luck. I even tried some real long shots like OfficeMax, OfficeDepot, Staples, etc.

NOTHING!

I guess I am stuck with my week 44 run 2500+.

All that trouble and $ cost. You could just get quality PC3200 RAM and up the FSB to hit your locked chip limitations which should be higher than older unlocked 2500+s...

I picked up come Corsair CMX512-3200LLPRO PC3200 RAM already, so that may be the best way to go, from what you are saying. I have heard mixed comments on the CMX line, but most of the negative came after I already ordered it. It is rated 2-3-2-6 which hopefully will be good enough (as if you couldn't already figure out, I am new to OCing).

Pushing FSB is not just memory, motherboard and its tweaking are equally important, if not more important.

For 200 MHz FSB, any nforce2 rev 2.0 (aka Ultra 400) should do it.
But aiming for 220+ MHz which is needed to max out the locked Barton 2500+ to 2420+ MHz, some motherboards have better chance than the other.

IMO, ABIT nforce2 NF7-S rev 2.0 and PC3200/3500/3700 memory module based on winbond CH5/BH5 chips have better chance for 220+ MHz FSB. Even that is not a given, some such motherboards require extensive tweaking and ....

Back