• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oc'd amd XP 2500+ running 51 celcius??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdrash

Senior Member, Benching Team Member
I am sure this question and others like it has been asked more than a few times. However, I am concerned and want to make certain that I am ok, as such I am a newbie...so please be kind. I have my AMD XP 2500+ (barton core) running as a XP 3000+ right now (Mother board is Shuttle AN35N Ultra, I bumped FSb to 200 from 166 and changed cpu multiplier from 11 to 10.5 , my ram is DDR 400), everything seems fine but I see that my cpu temperature is at 51 celcius (with no big load). I wonder if this is a safe temperature. I have been to AMD and other places, i know that AMD says this processor can run at 85 celcius temperature, but I would like to ensure I have not created a situation where i will lose some performance. I am using a stock heat sink and fan and I have three case fans. My case temperature is 38 celcius, and a third sensor (not sure where or what, maybe power supply?) is reporting 47 celcius. I would appreciate any comments and or suggestion that you want to share. I appologize for my "STUPID" question, this is my first post and I am just learning.

personaly for me, anything over 45c is too high
i guess for air cooling, over 50c is warning temp. which means, you're walking on thin ice. If u get up to 60c (which isn't far away) at load temp, you'll probably start running into problems like stability issues.
47 is probably your NB temp..
what is ur room temp? 38c is very very high case temp, could be the root of your problem if you do not have enough exaust fans.
IMO, if you're getting such high temps, you should consider running stock speeds until you get sufficient cooling for your computer.

Update

Ok, now I feel really really stupid. This is what happened, I cleaned my case and stuff two days ago. Apparently when I put everything back together I did not connect one of my rear case fans thus reducing/changing my air flow. Once I figured this out I plugged in the fan and now my cpu temp is running 48 celcius now with stock heatsink fan. Someday I will buy better cooling solution.....still feel free to share ur ideas with me...even if i am an idiot

LOL
dude ur not an idiot, i do that a lot.
i'm sure the pros even do that, its not an act of stupidity, just to lazy to check ur connections (i shouldn't be talking though, lol!) i've done worse things, like forgetting to plug in my pump, the cpu died now i made it into a keychain, so don't feel stupid :D
48c is still kinda high.. but with stock heatsink and overclocked to 3000+, its expected. Its of jumping on a $40-50 heatsink, i would try getting more airflow through your case, maybe replacing the cpu fan with a better, high cfm rated, fan and even changing the thermal compound to something like ArticSilver or ceramique which seems to decrease temps about 3c+ which isn't a bad start.

Thnx Korndog,

I appreciate your comments. I too feel that 48 celcius is high but what can I expect from a stock heat sink and fan setup. My next computer purchase will be for a real cooling solution (not sure hwat yet). I just recently got into this overclocking thing. Having so much fun learning about the do's and don'ts. The excitement is really great....every time i try something i get a thrill while waiting for my computer to boot...or not boot and then figuring out what i did or didnt do. WOW this is great fun. I am happy that overclockers.com exists...i get to see what others have tried and can avoid some major pitfalls in my projects.

yep, glad we could help
yes overclockers.com is great, thats why i'm here.. 800+post later :)
:beer: to overclockers

RdRash,
You can significantly improve the performance of your stock AMD hs by removing the stock fan (4 screws) and installing a 60to80mm fan adaptor with a 80mm fan.
That arrangement gives me the same results as a more expensive aftermarket HSF.

Hey thnx,

That sounds like a cheaper alternative that I can use in the interim while I am contemplating a water cooled system.....I think i will try it out. I appreciate your response and advice.

he dosent have the stock amd cooling, as he has a shuttle SFF and uses the I.C.E. technology. THat is your problem. Those things are nice at stock but arnt jack for OCING. If you can remove the ICE setup and put on a real HSF unit and run test again. SFF are horrible OCers

Well..................I have never heard of ice and do not know what you referring to. I know this: I bought the motherboard and each component separately, the cpu came in an AMD box (BOX SET= retail) with a heat sink and fan included .........??????????????????????????????????????

48 degrees is a perfectly safe temperature. You won't be doing any harm to your processor running it at that. My mother's system runs at over a 65 degree load, but it doesn't worry me, as the system runs perfectly stable, and its rated for up to 95 anyways. Investing in beefier cooling can give you a higher overclock though, but will not completely eliminate high temperatures.

If you're running an insane overclock with lots of volts you're temp will get up there, mine runs ~ 40-43 degrees but when I max my processor out I get up to 55 degrees at full load. After that I lose stability though, probably because of the heat, but also because the processor is maxed out.

With my slk-900U, my temps would hit 50C every day in the summer, course I was up around 1.9Vcore, but it was fine......until that day my tornado never came one......that heatsink got really hot.

Gautam said:
48 degrees is a perfectly safe temperature. You won't be doing any harm to your processor running it at that. My mother's system runs at over a 65 degree load, but it doesn't worry me, as the system runs perfectly stable, and its rated for up to 95 anyways. Investing in beefier cooling can give you a higher overclock though, but will not completely eliminate high temperatures.

Thanks for the reassurances. I hope to solve my concerns in the near future witha better cooling solution....in the mean time I will rest much easier with the information that others have been so kind to share with me. I really appreciate the friendly, helpful attitude of the folks here in overclockers.com. I didnt think i would cook my cpu because my motherboard has a sfety feature that will shut my system down if the temps reach critical levels, but tought that at some point performance would suffer from higher temperatures......If anyone would have suggested it, i would have dialed back my processor and returned to stock settings...but most have said that it is not a GREAT problem.

Shuttle AN35N Ultra (nForce 2 chipset)

Back