• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ahhh! Help me! 80 C ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snipester

Yes that is the current reading from the Onboard Motherboard Temperature for my CPU.. I just installed a 2400+ week 44 locked Tbred B ... I have another temperature sensor on the tip of the CPU on the top between the heatsink and it reads 40C....

Is that hot? I'm running at stock!

holeee.... i think its a bug, but i would still mount the temperature sensor on the side of the core, opposed to inbetween the hsf and die.

heres some bumping action, maybe someone can help you more

Wait I Remoutned the CPU....

I boosted it up to 1.82v and now it reads 60+ at load...

I have another thermostat on TOP of the CPU and it reads around 42.5 idle

The computer restarts itself if I boost the FSB a little higher. Does that mean my PSU is starting to die? I do have alot of components. Its an enermax 350w. I have 4 case fans + CPU fan. The enermax inside has 2 fans. Then I have 1 dvd burner 1 cd burner, 2 different vantec controllers and monitor, 2 harddrives, floppy drive, 9700 pro (needs power plug), firewire card (needs power plug), sound card, nic ............

Is that too much for a 350 to handle? when I boost my FSB to like 145 it restarts itself when loading before or after.

You should NEVER put a thermistor on top of the die the best place is right up against your core on the substrate? Your thermistor is getting in the way of heat transfer and I think you are lucky your cpu hasn't burned yet. Take the thermistor out all together and see just how much your temps drop. I am betting it will be a fair amount more. Your 350 should be fine too. Tell us what your rails look like. Q: When you say that you put a thermostat on TOP of your CPU, do mean on the die or the packaging (substrate)?

Yes I have it on top of the Die... I'll take it off then when I have time.... Also I keep getting Illegal Sumout errors in Prime 95.. . Does that mean I have an unstable overclock?

Well there's your problem. You should NEVER put ANYTHING between the CPU and the heatsink (except for thermal paste of course). I would not turn on that computer until you seat the heatsink properly, you risk killing your CPU at any moment.

Yes, your overclock is unstable. Either your RAM or CPU can't handle the speed. To test just the memory, try running memtest86. If it generates errors, it's the memory.

~THT

well I was running a palomino up to 145 FSB

I have the most relaxed mem settings already!... That means this CPU sux BADDDD I can barely get a 100mhz overclock?!?!?

I'm at 140FSB now... and it gives me those errors... Temp seems to be stabilized... I will try to remount AGAIN... Anyways I do have a SLK-900u ...... Does anyone have a t-bred B and one of these?? Can you tell me how to put it on properly? Everytime I take it off the anchors that hold the backplate come OFF instead of the screws with the springs and it takes a long time to take it off and put it back together.. Also the height of the sink seems a little odd. For the little clear plastic round thing that goes in between the mobo and the screw joint are you supposed to have 2 or 1?? When I had 2 on the CPU didn't really sit properly.

I have a question... what is your current cooling? I'm guessing it's stock AMD. other that the fact you have a poor heat transfer with that probe in the way.. I have had trouble with stock AMD H/F. You might want to look into a SLK800/900 or just lapp the 1 you have already along with a nice bead of AS-5 and no thermistor in the way... As for your stability you have 2 differant types of mem in there so your memory timing is going to be off. Try just running 1 stick and test it MemTest86

hmm I'll give the memtest a quick over... but I was running the ram at a higher speed before... Right now I have it on the most relaxed settings possible... 266 .......Both modules run up to 166 at cas 2.5 and 133 at cas 2

Snipester said:
well I was running a palomino up to 145 FSB

I have the most relaxed mem settings already!... That means this CPU sux BADDDD I can barely get a 100mhz overclock?!?!?

I'm at 140FSB now... and it gives me those errors... Temp seems to be stabilized... I will try to remount AGAIN... Anyways I do have a SLK-900u ...... Does anyone have a t-bred B and one of these?? ..... For the little clear plastic round thing that goes in between the mobo and the screw joint are you supposed to have 2 or 1?? When I had 2 on the CPU didn't really sit properly.

Did you read the instructions at the Thermalright web site for how to install the heatsink? You probably do not have it mounted properly. You should go to thier website and read the instructions .
And yes plenty of people have the SLK-900U and it its one of the best heatsinks you can get!

hmmm Memtest86 didn't give any errors after 1 pass so... I'm still pretty sure its the CPU's problem

I found the install guide.. In step 2 It tells you to use the thinner plastic then the thicker one... I only have 3 thinner ones..... I think thats how it came with mine. Anyways it says it is used if the hole is a smaller diameter anyways. I'll have to look at this more carefully when I come back from work.

I remounted my heatsink AGAIN... now i get around 49 idle and 55 load... at 1.82v... Do you think that is acceptable?? Remember this is the external temperature monitor and my motherboard has been known to steadily increase temp readings as time goes on.

I would back off all your OC settings, go bone stock and check your temps. Then let us know what you found. It’s a lot easier to figure out if you have everything setup correctly with stock numbers.

Also, just because one chip performed one way you can't expect a different one to run the same. Each chip is different even ones made right after each another on the assembly line. So I would suggest starting from scratch with your OC and take it slowly. Raise, Test, Raise, Test etc. you might even be able to get a better OC than you have been.

I have a Sanyo Denki 92mm on it.
I am overvolting to 1.82v

I managed to get to 2.28 ghz trying for more speed.....
Idle 52

I'll return it to stock later and post some results.. I wanna see how high this baby can go. I also have a case and HDD thermal diode.

Case 27.5
HDD 31.0

I have 2 vantec stealths and 2 generic blue led 80mm case fans.

Will I have to mount my damned SLK AGAIN? for the 4th time? I was expecting sub 40C temps... maybe my case is a little hot?

Back