• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to cool SB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

If this is one of those irritating n00b questions, then I apologize.

But how do I cool the SouthBridge on my mobo because I understand that when I oc this board there will be problems with the sound unless I cool the SB. Is there some way I can use the NB cooler on the SB and fit a Zalman on the NB?

Any help if appreciated!

Not many, if any, motherboards have mounting holes or hooks around the southbridge, so you will have to use some thermal epoxy to affix your heatsink. Just pick up some Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy, or some Arctic Alumina Thermal Epoxy when you order your Zalman, Then, all you have to do is mix the epoxy, spread it on the southbridge (clean both the surface of the SB and the Heatsink with rubbing alcohol first) and stick the heatsink on.

It is a good idea however to mix the epoxy in a 2 to 1 ratio with regular artic silver or some kind of thermal grease, I would recommend An Artic silver of some kind and brand.

When you mix the Artic Silver with the Epoxy at a 2-1 ratio, this will make it easier for you to remove the SB or NB heatsink later if need be without tearing up your much beloved board, depending on your motherboard.

I have myself have tested this, as I was told to do this by an oldtimer on these forums, and it does work like a charm.

Just trying to save you some headaches and give you some tips that I learned about Epoxy and PCB's of not only motherboards, but of Video cards as well.

Now I do this on everything I use thermal epoxy on.:D

Right so basically I effectively glue a cooler on to the SB...
Using whatever method is best, and I will have a cooled system.
I don't want the cooler to be pernamently stuck on to the SB, so I shall mix epoxy with artic silver and that should do it?

Have I understood it right?

Quattro said:
Right so basically I effectively glue a cooler on to the SB...
Using whatever method is best, and I will have a cooled system.
I don't want the cooler to be pernamently stuck on to the SB, so I shall mix epoxy with artic silver and that should do it?

Have I understood it right?

Yeah. I would also suggest just using arctic silver and puting two dots of super glue in corners of the SB. I do this and I know several other do too and you get the benefits of ausing a normal thermal grease plus the super glue releases if you twist the sink, no damage.

It would be fine. Only reason I think there would be a difference is become not many people sell SB cooling kits so a NB kit would be your best bet...unless you went with a normal CPU HS ;)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

You get thermal glue with the zalman NB32J (but not with the NB47J), so I would just use that... come on it's a southbridge people!

Artic silver adhesive is going way too far, especially considering it's a little conductive.

Oh and the NB32J also includes grease so you could mix that with the adhesive if you wanted a removeable bond.

eg1441 said:
... come on it's a southbridge people!

With vmods and very high fsb's that thing gets toasty. If you arent pushing limits, then you prob dont need it. If you are, sink everything thats hot.

But he asked so we reply.

Iron Hawk said:
Not many, if any, motherboards have mounting holes or hooks around the southbridge,

The EPOX 8RDA+ I have has mounting holes and the stock NB sink fits perfectly there and I believe that some of the other EPOX's come with a sink on the SB.

Back