• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Locked 2500+ vs. unlocked 2600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

unlocked 2500+ vs. locked 2600+

This x-mas i will be doing a major upgrade including ram, CPU and Mobo. Depending on how the money works out i will have 100 bux to spend on a proc (i have a source sellinga 2500+ unlocked for 100) or i could get a 2600+ probably locked from newegg. Secondly if i cannot get a 100 buck chip and have to resort to an 80 buck ish chip, should i go for a locked barton 2500+ or a t-bred b 2400+ (unlocked). Keeping in mind that i am on a limited budget that most certainly wont go over $300 and will be closer to 250 so i wont be getting the fastest most overclockable ram on the market. I know i posted a similar thread recently but as i narrow down the criteria, i need some more specific advice.

Last edited:
Well I would certainly try and get an unlocked chip if you can. If you cannot get an unlocked 2500+ barton, I would opt for a 1700+ or 1800+ DLT3C instead of a 2400+ though.

if you have good ram go for the lokced 2500 cause you should be able to push the barton 2500 as far as you ram/mother board can handle, also depending on the type of cooling you most probly will be using air, so you wont be able to put many volts into the chip cause of temperature problems, ie 11x200 at vcore 1.7 to give xp3200

hey you tittle is misleading? Locked 2500+ vs. unlocked 2600+
(then you say)i could get a 2600+ probably locked from newegg.

go for unlocked bartons 2500 upwards what eva ya can get otherwise
if you have good ram go for the lokced 2500 cause you should be able to push the barton 2500 as far as you ram/mother board can handle, also depending on the type of cooling you most probly will be using air, so you wont be able to put many volts into the chip cause of temperature problems, ie 11x200 at vcore 1.7 to give xp3200

Last edited:
those are both good points, but i would be happier with 2700+ ram rather than 3200+, i guess it will all be determined by how my budget falls out. Air cooling can go pretty far though, even though my aerflow might not break any records, that sp-94 is something (like i could ever afford 50 bux on a HS but a SLK-800 should do the trick)

kayl said:
hey you tittle is misleading? Locked 2500+ vs. unlocked 2600+
i could get a 2600+ probably locked from newegg.
then you say
go for unlocked bartons 2500 upwards what eva ya can get otherwise

sorry, i had a typeo.

Back