• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

case modding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookj5

Is there a fan setup that fits in one of my empty bays. that seem like a good place to add an intake fan. I am new at this so please tell me if is a stupid idea and why. thanks

well first of all, the general principle to cooling with fans is cool air intake bottom, hot air exhaust top - so the flow would be in bottom, out the top

im not sure what u mean by empty bays, as in cd drive bays? thats not exactly the best place to put one...its better to have one for intake on the bottom of the case

and thats not such a bad idea, everybody has some crazy ideas once in a while, u learn from ur mistakes :D

Though dalilman's cool air in bottom hot out top idea is good it is not necissary (the fact that heat "rises" has almost not effect when you take into account the air pushed around by all the fans), unless you have some super complicated idea that will work you really just need to be consistant, cool in bottom hot out top or cool in front hot out back visa versa, whatever. Just be consistent.
That being said you can get drive covers that have some fans in them or you can get a few (probably 3) 40mm fans and they should fit in one bay just fine if you wanna cut some holes.You could also do what I did and use 2 open drive bays to fit an 80mm fan in there, if you had 3 bays open you could fit a 120mm fan in there. (that is if you did in fact mean CD drive bays.)

If you just want to put an 80mm fan in the front of your HDD bay that sould work, most 3 or 4 slot 3.5in bays will fit an 80mm or 92mm fan in them quite well so all you need to do us cut out a spot for it to pull the air in.

MainComputerSmallFront.jpg

Last edited:
Dude!!!!! Thats what I was talking about!!!!!! I did mean CD or whatever slots, I have 3 empty ones. I'm not sure I understand this tho,"If you just want to put an 80mm fan in the front of your HDD bay that sould work, most 3 or 4 slot 3.5in bays will fit an 80mm or 92mm fan in them quite well so all you need to do us cut out a spot for it to pull the air in." If you could help out a new guy and explain please, BTW the link to the Modding post is awesome, I will start hacking as soon as I feel more comfident. Thanks!

Hookj5 said:
Dude!!!!! Thats what I was talking about!!!!!! I did mean CD or whatever slots, I have 3 empty ones. I'm not sure I understand this tho,"If you just want to put an 80mm fan in the front of your HDD bay that sould work, most 3 or 4 slot 3.5in bays will fit an 80mm or 92mm fan in them quite well so all you need to do us cut out a spot for it to pull the air in." If you could help out a new guy and explain please, BTW the link to the Modding post is awesome, I will start hacking as soon as I feel more comfident. Thanks!

See what I did in the picture? Do the same if you have 3 3.5inch covers empty. That way you can cool your harddrives

jlin453 said:

See what I did in the picture? Do the same if you have 3 3.5inch covers empty. That way you can cool your harddrives

Actually that's not quite what I meant, but it would probably also work.
I meant somthing like this:
click on the 4th picture from the left (follow link first)
It has the little purple thing in the bay... well it's for a fan. You might not have the little holder deali but you can still probably fit a fan in there, I have this case and I can fit a 92mm fan in there without the purple thing, you might be able to fit an 80 or 92 in there if you are luck.

And if you have 3 bays open you can probably fit a 120mm fan in the front.

EDIT: Link fixed - I think.

Last edited:
I am gonna plan it all out. jlin, thanks for the pics. BTW I live in Corpus. Crash, I think that link is dead.

Last edited:
Just a observation 4 of the 5 pll on this thread so far are from TEXAS.You can put a fan almost anywhere. But to work properly it has to have access to air. THE FANMAN:cool:

Hey fanman, I really love your case mods, thank for linking to that thread. It has given me some great ideas for when I get my new memory and heatsink. I will really try to push the cpu. I just now tried to up the fsb cuz its so cold in here, but seti crashed at 2.15 GHz. I use a neat proggie to test OC without going into bios. Its called ClockGen for nVidia nForce2. I bet it was my memory thats holding me back. If you look in memory I posted my upgrade. Tell me what you think. Thanks.

Back