• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A7N8X-X 200+ FBS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

micoyote1

Registered
I have the A7N8X-X rev. 2 board.... Elixer pc3200 2x256 memory and I can't seem to get over the 200 mgz fbs. I got my 2700+ tb up to 200, but that was were the line stopped. I tried my new 2800 Barton and it topped out at 195. I was using the 11.5 multiplier and went up as high as 1.8 on the vcore setting. I even dropped the milyiplier down to 10 and still stuck at 200 top end.

Anyone eles have this problem with this board? Is there something I can do to get past this or am I looking at buying a new board?

O.K. I lowered my multiplier to the lowest setting (6.5) and got the board to go up to 215 fbs, but as soon as I changed the multiplier back to 11.0 it would not boot onto windows...I had to go clear back down to a 200 fbs to get windows to boot which gave me 11x200=2200. I then decided to go back to the 12.5 multiplier and could only get it to boot at 180 fsb 12.5x180=2250.

The memory timmmings are set to optimal 8.3.3.3T and the vcore is at 1.8 volts. Is this my board holding me back? I would think that an unlocked 2800 barton could do better than this.:cry:

Any Ideas...please help:confused:

Are you using the stock HSF? If so, your problems may be heat related. I would pop for a decent aftermarket cooler and see if that does the trick.

I have the heat sink that came with the 2800 barton and I noticed that the fan speed on it was slower than my tb heat sink fan. I had a volcano 6 lying around so I took the fan off it and used it to replace the stock one that came with the barton because it was about 1000rpms faster. temps are 33c idle and vcore is at 1.8

Is it common for the vcore to have to go up higher that that to get over the 200fsb mark?

What kind of cooling would be a good choice?...need some suggestions.

....still have a feeling this board is holding me back.

I have a similar board, and I have a vile 2100+ Palamino, that seems to run hot even at stock. I installed an AMD 2800+ heatsink and fan and at idle I was getting mid fifties. Then I changed to a Coolermaster Aero 7+ and it is much better idle about 35*c, 3d mark 40*c.

My vcore is 1.725v bios (1.79v actual according to MBM) which translates into idle temps of around 25-26C diode/30-31C socket at 2.39 GHz. Your idle temps aren't that much higher than mine so I'm inclined to think that's not what's preventing you from booting into Windows.

My board won't allow me to boot into Windows at CAS 3 and I'm wondering if your board hates that setting as much as mine does. Try 11-3-3-2.5 and see how that works.

Def try 2.5 cas setting. Also FSB is your memory and therefore it may require more VDIMM voltage to get over the 200 mark with pc3200 ram. try 2.7 or 2.8 to your VDIMM. Also if you can get an Uber Bios, that will alow you to raise the chipset voltage, which also helps with high fsb overclocks. Goodluck:cool:

Noy quit sure waht an uber bios is, but I am nore than willing to give it a shot...where can I find ione for my board?

"This place is better than any book"

I have the same memory as yours. It is not your memory that is holding you back. See my sig. I would not recommend going higher than 2.7 on Vdimm. Please clarifiy what CPUand HS you have . What you said did not match your sig. I find it odd for you to go 1.725 on Vcore and your temps are that low. You should be hitting over 40 C with that setting.

O.K. sniper here is what I have going on right now...get this....I have a amd 2800 barton (unlocked) week26 w/ AQXEA stepping. I have an asus a7n8x-x mb rev. 2 with 2 sticks of elixer 256 pc 3200 and the timmings are 8-3-3-3T with the voltage set @ 2.6. I am now running at 11x200=2200 the vcore set @ 1.725 and temps are 28c - 30c will I am on line doing this. as of about 2 hours ago I am now water cooled with the aquarius 2.

Believe it or not I can not get over the 200 mark with the multiplier set at 11 and I even crancked up the v core to 1.850. Not sure what hte he.. is up here, but any help would sure be great.

Turn your CAS to 2 or 2.5. Why are you running it at 3? I am amazed you are even able to boot with CAS3, much less get it to run at 11 X 200.

Also, raise your DDR reference voltage to 2.8. If you don't, you will never be able to raise your FSB any higher.

If you have tried this and it doesn't work, say so.

Last edited:
The spec fo this memory say CAS 3 is 5 ns, CAS 2.5 which is 6 ns. I am not sure which is faster, but my guess is 5 ns.

You have peaked or tweaked your rig to the highest you can go w/ stability. What is holding you back is your memory. The highest I can go w/stability is 200 X 11. You can go further with OCing if you relax your memory timings. However you will take a hit on benchmarks if you do that.

Now I understanding your temps. Thanks for update.

Sniper: I think your right, I am running at 11x 207 right now and that seems to be the top end. I guess I will be putting some different memory in soon and donate the elixer to a back up rig which I now have enough trial and error part to get a good start on one. Can you suggest which memory would be able to get me into the 220 area?

Raillex: Dropped drom 3T down to 2.5T and even 2T raised the voltage up to 2.8 and at both settings it would not even let me boot into windows or bios...no boot at all, just a beep. Right now I am at 9-2-2-3T.... going to try some different settings and tinker around a bit. Any suggestions?

I flashed the bios with the 1005 uber version and in my vdimm voltage it did'nt give the 2.9 setting it gave me this:

What do ya make of that?

Thanks a bunch for your input

Last edited:
if your going to buy new memory, I recommend Muskin PC3500, level II I have it running now, but I have the -E version of the mobo, and it is running a 2800 @ 2525 Multi is at 12

edit: I know it doesn't match my sig, but I have 3 differnt rigs, and haven't updated my sig in ages :)

maybe, your mobo, or cpu just cant handle it? you can always set the memory to a slower speed, and make sure that is what is holding you back BEFORE you go out and spend money on new memory.

Back