• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me to get my B-die to run better! *SOLVED*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1.4 was safe for Comet Lake too... You're fine to go higher than 1.2V.

Maybe you should forget that previous information. :p

This came from a motherboard engineering team when I inquired about the high voltage for VCCSA for DDR 3600 at Gear 1
VCCSA 1.56V is a necessary voltage on RKL CPU to run XMP 3600MHz at Gear1 mode for universal cases, indeed some 3600MHz modules doesnÂ’t really need to go this high, but if the voltage is set to a lower level from the beginning, other users will be suffering boot issues.

Some motherboards simply won't run at Gear 1 at DDR4-3600 or above. In some cases, it requires higher voltage but going from ~1.1V to ~1.5V+ SA is way too much for only DDR4-3600 (I'm not saying it's not helping in some cases). I just noticed that every motherboard that I tested and couldn't run at DDR4-3600 Gear 1, started to work after BIOS update or never worked, regardless of voltages. I mean brands like Biostar, Colorful, or lower ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc. I had no problems with higher ASRock, ASUS, or MSI but I was testing only some specific models.

Anyway, on Intel, it doesn't matter so much to run RAM at a 1:1 ratio and I would go for DDR4-4133+ Gear 2 at more relaxed timings, as it gives better results in most cases and is easier to set than tight timings at Gear1.
If you have an above-average Samsung B then aim for DDR4-4266+. It should work at 1.4V SA +/-0.05V.
As long as 1.5V+ VDIMM seems high, many brands are offering their Samsung B kits with XMP up to 1.65V so I would stick with about 1.5-1.55V for OC.
You should see about 12GB/s higher bandwidth at ~4266 than at ~3600 and slightly worse latency but not so much as higher frequency also lowers latency.

MSI should adjust SA and other settings automatically. Once you find the max clock, start to play with sub-timings but the most important will be tRFC as at auto it will be twice as high as it can work.

Some motherboards simply won't run at Gear 1 at DDR4-3600 or above. In some cases, it requires higher voltage but going from ~1.1V to ~1.5V+ SA is way too much for only DDR4-3600 (I'm not saying it's not helping in some cases). I just noticed that every motherboard that I tested and couldn't run at DDR4-3600 Gear 1, started to work after BIOS update or never worked, regardless of voltages. I mean brands like Biostar, Colorful, or lower ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc. I had no problems with higher ASRock, ASUS, or MSI but I was testing only some specific models.

Anyway, on Intel, it doesn't matter so much to run RAM at a 1:1 ratio and I would go for DDR4-4133+ Gear 2 at more relaxed timings, as it gives better results in most cases and is easier to set than tight timings at Gear1.
If you have an above-average Samsung B then aim for DDR4-4266+. It should work at 1.4V SA +/-0.05V.
As long as 1.5V+ VDIMM seems high, many brands are offering their Samsung B kits with XMP up to 1.65V so I would stick with about 1.5-1.55V for OC.
You should see about 12GB/s higher bandwidth at ~4266 than at ~3600 and slightly worse latency but not so much as higher frequency also lowers latency.

MSI should adjust SA and other settings automatically. Once you find the max clock, start to play with sub-timings but the most important will be tRFC as at auto it will be twice as high as it can work.

Sounds like I need to get out of gear 1. I'm going to try all this today. Thank you for taking the time to review my situation and respond.

Edit* on my motherboards specs, it says 4000mhz is max with 4 dimms. Does that mean that 4266mhz isn't even possible?

It means good luck trying :) ... usually specs are lower than the maximum clock as it depends on too many variables to guarantee that. Try to play with various settings and maybe it will work higher. On AMD about 4400 is max with 4 memory modules, on Intel, the memory controller is stronger so should OC higher but some other things may cause stability issues. For example, 2/4 slots OC better while 1/3 worse.
Btw. don't focus on SA too much. More important is IO 2 for a higher memory clock. You can leave SA at ~1.30-1.35V but push IO 2 to 1.4-1.5V if you are stuck at some frequency. Once you stabilize everything, try to drop voltages as both SA and IO are heating up the CPU. Still safe but no reason to keep it too high when it's not required.
I'm not sure if you have signal quality reading in BIOS. I have it on Z590I Unify and it was on other Unify boards. It suggests which memory stick may cause instability. I can't check where it was right now but maybe you find it.

It means good luck trying :) ... usually specs are lower than the maximum clock as it depends on too many variables to guarantee that. Try to play with various settings and maybe it will work higher. On AMD about 4400 is max with 4 memory modules, on Intel, the memory controller is stronger so should OC higher but some other things may cause stability issues. For example, 2/4 slots OC better while 1/3 worse.
Btw. don't focus on SA too much. More important is IO 2 for a higher memory clock. You can leave SA at ~1.30-1.35V but push IO 2 to 1.4-1.5V if you are stuck at some frequency. Once you stabilize everything, try to drop voltages as both SA and IO are heating up the CPU. Still safe but no reason to keep it too high when it's not required.
I'm not sure if you have signal quality reading in BIOS. I have it on Z590I Unify and it was on other Unify boards. It suggests which memory stick may cause instability. I can't check where it was right now but maybe you find it.

I feel like I've spent 5 years living in my z590 tomahawk bios, pretty sure I don't have it. Messing around with all the voltages now and gear 2. Thanks for all the advice and knowledge.

I'm happy with the results, I'm stable at Gear 1 3444mhz c13 or gear 2 4266mhz xmp which is actually 1T... latency is better on 3444 but bandwidth is better at 4266mhz. Really appreciate your help woomack, earth dog and Johan.

Back