• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Cpu Voltage should i use for NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djpeetur

I have my cpu running at 10.5 x217. with 2X256 xms3500c2pT @ 2.8v. My chipset is at 1.7. what voltage should i use for my CPU?
TIA

if its at 38-40 idle, I"d try the stock settings and then do stability programs like cpu burn in or prime95, if it did not run stable i'd up the voltag up until 1.8 at which point i'd stop, because they say past that the cpu gets damaged.

who is they? "they" also run voltages up to 2.1 or higher. can you back up the damage claim? reduced performance? I could buy shorter life - the planned life of a current cpu is 10 years or so. I could believe that serious overvolting could result in the loss of perhaps even up to half of that life. However, I have no plans to be using this cpu in five years, and am certainly glad I am not using a cpu of five years ago - something on the order of 266mhz. And don't even talk to me about ten years ago.

so long as your tempretures stay at a reasonable level, you should feel fine juicing that sucker until they are no longer reasonable. My cutoff is 45c. That may be a bit low, but I am not comfortable with more, and feel that performance actually decreases, which is far from the goal. make sure you have a good psu with steady rails, or mod the rails to make it steady, like me ;-) and also heatsink up those mosfets so that they can more steadily distribute the increased power load of your vcore. They will get hot and voltage will vary, and your stability goes bye bye.

ditto what __TRONIK__ said.

I have seen 2.2V maybe even 2.3V posted here. I dont think I want to go that high, but like __TRONIK__ said, set a heat point that you like. With air cooling, chances are you will hit a heat threshold before a voltage one.

I personaly dont want to go much over 2V unless I see a substantial performance boost. 1.95 is probably most you will get without mosfet cooling. Even with mosfet cooling, you will probably be running too hot for comfort at load.

To answer your question directly: As little as possible. Nobody will be able to tell you what this is, it involves testing to find your ideal settings. Testing for weeks/months/years. Realize that if you are stable at 2278mhz, you are going to be doing a lot of work for what will amount to maybe 200mhz (an 8% gain) and that is being very optomistic.

What is your load temp now?

I'd go with a voltage of 1.725Volts in the BIOS. The Barton's run cooler than the T-Bred's because of better die contact.

Also, you might want to try lower your chipset voltage. You might be able to get a few extra Mhz outta your CPU. The reason I suggested lowering the chipset voltage is because some ppl have had better success with a lower chipset voltage (1.5V).

Just my $0.02 cents.

lowering chipset voltage hasn't worked for me. My board wants more voltage than 1.7 I think, and I believe I will give it to him.

BTW, in order to get 2.45 out of my last barton, I needed 2.08volts, with my new one (no old one did not die) I only need 1.85v , with loads at 40 or under and nighttime idles in the 20's. And when I open the window.......
even with ridiculous voltages, I'd feel safer than with a stock speed barton with amd heatsink idling in the 40s

__TRONIK__ said:
who is they? "they" also run voltages up to 2.1 or higher. can you back up the damage claim? reduced performance? I could buy shorter life - the planned life of a current cpu is 10 years or so. I could believe that serious overvolting could result in the loss of perhaps even up to half of that life. However, I have no plans to be using this cpu in five years, and am certainly glad I am not using a cpu of five years ago - something on the order of 266mhz. And don't even talk to me about ten years ago.

so long as your tempretures stay at a reasonable level, you should feel fine juicing that sucker until they are no longer reasonable. My cutoff is 45c. That may be a bit low, but I am not comfortable with more, and feel that performance actually decreases, which is far from the goal. make sure you have a good psu with steady rails, or mod the rails to make it steady, like me ;-) and also heatsink up those mosfets so that they can more steadily distribute the increased power load of your vcore. They will get hot and voltage will vary, and your stability goes bye bye.

Dam tonik calm down, why you gotta get so emotional. I have heard that "safe" oc'ing is under the 1.85 mark, i've heard this on forums and by word of mouth. "can you back up the damage claim? reduced performance?" <--- that was dumb, I did not make this claim, I just stated that "they" (to clear up, OTHER PEOPLE) stated ""safe" oc'ing is under the 1.85 mark" I appoligize for not stating how reliable the source was, however seeing as to how i said "they" i thought that it would be understood and worth mentioning but, not to be misinterpetit or overshoot, so i used the word "they".

I did not mean to misinform and i dont think i did. It gave him a safe voltage until someone like you would have come along and told him that he can keep going.

Last edited:
Back