• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Via Aqua died like a sissy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madcow235

My via aqua didn't burst into flames or explode into a shower of pretty plastic impaling the back of my case. Hell it didn't even stop working but there was one fatal flaw in the design of this pump. The impellor casing thingy that screws onto the front has these little black clips that clip onto the actual pump to seal it together, these things are under some serious pressure. Anyways i put some tubing on it and it tugged or something and one clip turned completely white, from the stress, and the other was holding on for dear life. So I decided to try and use 1 clip but that was no good and then that clip broke. I have now tried every single type of glue imaginable to get the impellor housing thingy to stay on but NOOO of course it won't stay on. Now i got some serious glue to get it to stick but guess what the pump wont even start anymore. So now i have to get myself a mcp600 i think, i hear there have been problems with these but i like the design and lack of stupid little clips. So after 6+ months of faithful service my little Via has died.

I blame fed-ex for said problems since i wouldn't have been playing with my computer if they had brought my Maze4 vga

I hate to hear that. My Via is about 4-5 motnhs old.

I had problems with minor leaks when I first set it up, but I coated the o-ring with silicone caulk. That fixed it. I hope mine lasts longer than 6 months.

I had one with a broken clip like that on the inlet housing, but I just epoxied it shut after I did the silence mod. I did a second one like that, but then I realized I might want to service a pump or grab spare parts at some point, so I started using liberal amounts of silicone sealant instead. I have one that is still running perfect after 6 months with epoxy, and one I just built with silicone sealant. I keep two on the shelf as well, for backup.

I am sorry to hear that bro but ViaAqua pumps always had that problem. I suggest your next purchase would be Danner Mag 3 or an Eheim 1250.

I cracked the housing on mine when I tried to use a Brass barb in a plastic housing :dumb: So I used JB weld to fix it. I guarantee that JB weld will hold the pump together permanately if you always use good water, you'll be fine to not have to take it apart ever again but you never know. You can at least save the pump and make it work again with JB weld until you can buy another pump.

UPDATE: I have fixed it with a clamp and lots and lots of epoxy, i ran it dry for 2seconds to make sure it rumbled and it did. Now all it needs to do is last 2days until my mcp600 comes WOOHOOO

I broke one tab when I first got mine over a year ago, I use Pcv plumbers cement and it works flawlessly, no leaks and no mess, I also sealed the barbs with it and not one leak in all this time, great stuff if you ask me:)

-Milkman

My L30 does that. Sometimes unplugging it and plugging back in about 50 times in row works, other times smacking it will fix it, other times I have to pull it apart. I just leave it on 24/7 now.

Back