• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Killed my Eheim - New Pump Needed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chez

I used to use my Eheim 1250 with CPU, NB and GPU blocks and a 120mm rad.

It always did a reasonable job, but I decided to use it for just the CPU after getting my new 3.0C P4.

Unfortunately, whilst assembling the new system I managed to screw the outlet barb in a bit too far and have cracked the casing :rolleyes:

I'm now looking to buy a new pump!

As I'm only going to be using it to cool the CPU, do I need such a powerful pump or could I get away with a smaller one?

The WC setup will be used in my Lian-Li Mid Tower and will consists of -

OCPC 'The Deep' 120mm Rad (similar to the black ice ones)
1 x 120mm YS-Tech Fan
OCPC Atlantis High Flow CPU Block
1/2" Tygon Tubing
New Pump.

So far, my options seem to be -

New Eheim 1250
Smaller Eheim (1048/1046)

What other pumps should I be considering and what would you guys recommend?

Alternatively, I could blow my whole "smaller pump" theory by getting a Hydor L40 (2800 L/h as opposed to the 1200L/h of my 1250) which I've seen going cheap. Would this be overkill?? Are these very noisy/big?? Also, I've read that they use 3/4" barbs. Would the Tygon fit over this or would I need to buy adapters??

Thanks in advance
Chez

Should point out that I'm in the UK - I don't think it's very easyto get hold of danner pumps here :(

IIRC, the L30 is roughly the same performance as the 1250??

What I'm trying to ascertain is whether I could get away with a smaller/cheaper/quieter pump with just the CPU being cooled?

Is repair an option? Any chance you could epoxy the casing back together? Maybe even epoxy the outlet barb in place at the same time? Doesn't seem like much to lose by trying.

TBH, there's a few things wrong with it now!!

This time, I managed to crack the casing around the outlet barb. I've tried glueing it, but it won't work.

Previously, I have split the inlet barb (although this doesn't leak - just doesn't look great) and broken the impeller shaft (again, it still works).

All in all, I guess I need to be a bit more careful!!!

IMHO, you'd be best off with a 1048. It's by far and wide the quietest above all others listed, and won't have any problems keeping up with the performance of the others either; there's a good chance it would top them.

from billa's atlantis review it appears that it is quite happy with high flow rates...
AhlSI.gif

AcwSI.gif

It should be clear that this is a wb for high flow rate systems, and by extension for systems optimized for low flow resistance and utilizing a large pump. The wb’s low pressure drop at high flow rates means that it can benefit from the low head capability (aquarium type) pumps in common use by WCers

i therefore reckon you will get better results with another 1250 or an L30 (or even L40 if you are game) than a 1048.

Chez said:

Alternatively, I could blow my whole "smaller pump" theory by getting a Hydor L40 (2800 L/h as opposed to the 1200L/h of my 1250) which I've seen going cheap. Would this be overkill?? Are these very noisy/big?? Also, I've read that they use 3/4" barbs. Would the Tygon fit over this or would I need to buy adapters??

Thanks in advance
Chez
according to this aussie pump site the L40 comes with 5/8" fittings - the 3/4" (BSP) is the thread for fitting others...
15 x 8 x 12cm which is between a 1048 and a 1250...
it looks like a very capeable pump (1250 lph i.e. over 20 litres/minute at a 2m head :cool: ) - don't know about noise though

what price can you get one for? (and is it a one off?) - i've only seen them at about £70 inc shipping :(

DONT GET A NEW PUMP!!!!

I cracked my pump in a very similar manner, some JB weld fixed it right up. Jb weld can fix anything.

If it can fix an ENGINE BLOCK, it can fix your waterpump!

blackjackel - Thanks mate, you gave me an idea.

Whilst JB Weld isn't available at B&Q, I went and bought some quick drying epoxy (stronger than superglue, but not as strong as the stuff that takes 48 hours to cure).

I dollopped this all over the cracks and glued the barbs in. After a few minutes of drying, my (admittedly un-scientific) tests (covering one end and blowing hard into the other) seemed to indicate that it had worked.

I'm going to leave it a while then reassemble it and leak test for a couple of hours.

It looks a mess, but if it works, it's saved me spending £50 (until I get the upgrade bug, anyway!)

Last edited:
bravo! good show!

Glad i saved a fellow overclocker some money...

A freind of mine simply Hot glued his waterpump but it took a crapload of it to work! I'm almost definately sure this will work for you =D

Chez said:
blackjackel - Thanks mate, you gave me an idea.

Whilst JB Weld isn't available at B&Q, I went and bought some quick drying epoxy (stronger than superglue, but not as strong as the stuff that takes 48 hours to cure).

I dollopped this all over the cracks and glued the barbs in. After a few minutes of drying, my (admittedly un-scientific) tests (covering one end and blowing hard into the other) seemed to indicate that it had worked.

I'm going to leave it a while then reassemble it and leak test for a couple of hours.

It looks a mess, but if it works, it's saved me spending £50 (until I get the upgrade bug, anyway!)

how's it holding up?

Unfortunately, it didn't work!!!

I'm using it in a bucket at the moment, seems to be cooling OK.

Will have to look for a new pump!

shame :(

oh well i guess the bucket buys you some time.....

or maybe you could make/buy a suitable size res and use it submerged?

just thought - this is a diagram of all the available spare parts for a 1250 - i think from your description the offending crack is not one of them, but just in case...
http://www.eheim.com/pdf/30.pdf

If it fails.... try try again...

It didnt work for me either at first (nor for my freind)

i had to put more JB weld on it and wait for it to dry, it worked the 2nd time.

My freind says he had to take off and put back on his hot glue 5 times for it to work correctly.

Dont spend $50 when you can spend $3 for some jb weld or a cheap 99Cent store hotgluegun and some gluesticks...

I'll bet you it will work the second time, try giving it more time to dry or use different glue, JB weld works wonders and is the strongest non-military epoxy on planet earth (i think).

plus its only like 4 bucks max!

also, if you decide not to try again, and you MUST get a new pump...

get a VIA AQUA 1300. for only ~20 bucks!!!

It pumps out a crapload of GPH for the price, and will be way more enough for you...

one thing to warn you, its LOUD AS HELL stock....

But with an EASILY DONE mod, you can make it silent, i modded mine and i cant hear it now....

search for my waterpump mod and youll find it...

hope i helped, cheers...

blackjackel said:
also, if you decide not to try again, and you MUST get a new pump...

get a VIA AQUA 1300. for only ~20 bucks!!!

I

like me Chez is based in the UK where the VIA is unavailable (and indeed unuseable since out mains is 230v, 50hz) :(

Back