• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Almost done...parts source needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaruiz

Registered
OK I've almost finished getting the parts for my watercooling system. So far I've managed to get..
-Swifty MCW372 Waterblock ($6.00 mismarked at Fry's...they sold it to me at that price anyways)
-Swiftech MCP300 pump w/ Criticool Relay ($26.00 + shipping on Ebay...I read a lot of reviews on this particular pumpand they were all really good with flow rates around that of an Eheim 1250 in a smaller package, theprice was right, and fromwhat I've read it's alot better than a Via-Aqua 1300 ..which was what I was initiallylooking at using)
-Chevy S-10 Heater Core ($2.00+$5.00 Shipping on Ebay...I'll have to mod the outlets...but shouldn't be too hard)
-I also ended up buying -OCHO Z4 warer lock+6x6 Radiator+ shroud+120mm fan+G4 GPU waterblock for NVidia Cards+pump (make unknown) for $52.00 +shipping on Ebay..Initially I bought it just so I could use the pump (figured if it ran his water-cooling system, it should do ok inmine...I knew I was bidding onthe Swifty pump but that auction didn't end for another 2 days...I wanted to make sure I has a backup in case I didn'twin the Swifty) and so I could use the Z4 GPU ...and also figured in case it takes me longer than I thought to mod Chevy S-10 heater core I could throw in the 6x6 radiator immediately in the system....I'll probably stick with the Sifty waterblock over the Z4 (to be honest finding info on the Z4 was next to impossible.) ANYWAYS...

NOW I need to get the tubing, connectors, etc.Can Anyone reccomend a good source for picking stuff up.Also how much tubing should I get I'll be installing the system in a mid-tower case I'm currently modding ...Also is there anything I"m MISSING? I also need to find a sourcefor the barbs used in the Swifty pump(I'm not sure if they usespecial barbs or what)...

The Swiftech mcp300 uses quick connect fittings. 1/2"od,3/8"id tubing fits into them. You are supposed to use a small plastic sleeve that slides into the end of your tubing. This helps to stiffen the tube where it slides into the quick connect fitting and helps keep it from leaking. These sleeves come with the pump when purchased new. You can buy some from swiftech here http://www.swiftnets.com/ go to the online store. The part number is TSI375S there $2 for a pack of 10. They also sell barbs that slide into the quick connect fittings if you prefer these instead.

[
The Swiftech mcp300 uses quick connect fittings. 1/2"od,3/8"id tubing fits into them. You are supposed to use a small plastic sleeve that slides into the end of your tubing. This helps to stiffen the tube where it slides into the quick connect fitting and helps keep it from leaking. These sleeves come with the pump when purchased new.

Yeah since the pump is used I doubt I'll get them (though there were some connectors in the picture of the auction) I think I need the same thing for the GPU cooler (MCW327). I looked at some barbs at the local hardware store but in a similar fitting (I didn't have the block with me but there was something there with a similar connection). I'm debating though whether to use that block or the OCH Z4 that comes in a kit I bought online ($53+shipping online)...I'll be using the G4 GPU cooler in the kit, but not the pump, I don't kthink I'll ise thier radiator either (from what I've read it's the weak point in the system.Which CPU cooler do you think will be better?

So far though I'vr spent less than $50 for the waterblock (new..$6.00..a fluke at Fry's) pump and relay card (Swify+CritiCool $26+shipping, and heatercore (Chevy S-10...$7.00 shipped) , NOT too bad for a ffirst setup as long as it performs ok. I've seen kits online for as low as $72, but the reviews on them were absolutely HORRIBLE, they didn't even keep up with many air-coolers. If I add in the OverClockers Hideout Kit I purchased I still end up with 2 kits for around $100 (the OCH kit was $52+shiopping on Ebay...new it ran him over $250 for everything. It includes Z4 CPU waterblock, G4 waterblock for Nvidia (luckily I have a GeForce3 Ti500...I had been planning on buying a heatpipe for it) 6x6 radiator with shroud and 120mm fan (I'll probably use the shroud and fan) and pump.

If I sell whatever I don't use I should still come out of this all for under $60 TOTAL...way better than I could have done anywhere else. (I saw kits that had pumps in small resevoirs that fir inside a 5.25 slot...how good can a pump that small really be? I don't expect my setup to rival some of the better kits or setups I've seen put together BUT I think it should perform well enough to get a good OC at a good temp.

Back