• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Corsair Hydrocool EX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

badge56

I have been thinking of going wet for a long time. One of my problems was: No place in my case for rads etc. I also did not like the idea of having all those things full of water in my case.

I made the jump and ordered an HydroCool from Corsair. To my surprise it was a newer model that is not even mentioned on the Corsair site. Its the EX model. The black case is translucide. I always figured it was black plastic and opaque. Maybe it was translucide and I did not notice. Anyways it one nice box.

The main differences from the non-ex model is the following:
1-Replaceable fan filters for both fans
2-Lapped and polished CPU water bloc
3-New fan design for high performance with reduced noise levels.

They have also changed the filling instructions.... no more starting it up first.

Once I get it going I will post results. So far I am verry impressed with the quality of the stuff and instructions. I hope it works as well as it looks.:)

OK, I set the thing up this morning. Toke me about 30 minutes. Its easy. The parts all fit nicely. The things that are mentionned in the reviews like the rubber bushing not fitting right have been corrected. Fits perfect.

The only real bummer is that my CPU is already to its max... sh*t !!
I have used this CPU for a wile now and know that at about 2300mhz its the max (1.825 Vcore). Did not work any better if I added more Vcore and the heat got close to 48-49C at 1.875 (did not dare go to 1.9 or higher)

Regular setting 11X205 = 2270mhz SK900 HS with Delta 80MM 5 case fans idle 40-43 load 44-47

With my new Hydrocool (same settings) 28.5 idle 31 load

Its much cooler and much quieter. Never need the turbo mode that is not quiet but quieter than my Delta 80mm :)

Tried 12X200 Vcore at 1.9V Booted to windows but was unstable
Tried 11.5X200 still unstable

Turns out HEAT is not my problem. I need a better CPU...

Any questions about the NEW EX model, just ask..

Actually the tiny bubbles are all gone. It bleeds it self. You first top it off and start it up. The alarm goes off indicating your liquid is low. You shut it down and add about a 1/2 liter to fill it up again. You see all kinds of little bubbles that go away in 24 hours or less. They are all gone now.

Ambient temp = 19C
Idle 28.5 / 29

Never goes to turbo mode. Its set to go at 40C but nver reaches it. Great, except my 2500+ is maxed out at 207X11. Anything over 2300mhz and its unstable. Can't wait to get a better one. I think I will try a 2800+ Barton and see what I can do with it.

Today I found another 2500+. This one was a week 35. The first one I tried was my unlocked week33. Decided to give the week 35 a go. To my disapointment, i was locked. I upped the Vcore and the Vdimm from 1.825 to 1.850 and from 1.7 to 1.8 and cranked it up to 210X 11
Looks stable and ran Aquamark just fine. The week 35 looks better than my week 33 but is locked. Running 2310 mhz ...
idle on the HydroCool is 29.5

Here some pics:

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

h5.jpg

h6.jpg

Yes they are. They are just under the fans. hard to see in those pics.
Sorry

Latest news... Still a bit unstable. Upeed the Vcore to 1.9 and recreased Vdimm from 1.8 to 1.7
Looks stable at 2310 29.5 to 30.5 idle
More testing....

Does anyone know for sure what I could expect overclocking wise with a 2800+ ?

Back