• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S P2P-EXT Discard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tyson-chris

Hey all,

Does anyone know, with a fair amount of certainty, what the "setting" for the P2P-EXT Discard time was in the early bioses (like d10) that didn't "officially" have this setting?

Here's the situation. I'm running RAID-0 SATA, so I never could use the d10's, unless I used the 1.0.0.281 Drivers (which screws your writes...). So I've always used pretty much the latest bios (Now using TicTac modded d22 Ice) to ensure no SATA corruption. I've always had my P2P-EXT Discard time set to 30us as from the fairly cryptic description in the bios, it says to set it to 30us to stop the sata from "crushing" your hd :p And I've never had any problems with corruption. But now, after reading posts carefully, it seems that 30us is the BAD option (ie. that causes SATA corruption) and that the P2P setting should be set to 1ms. Basically, I'm wondering then if my setup is just "unique" and I'm one of the few that don't get SATA corruption? So I'm wondering if anyone knows what the hidden P2P-EXT Discard setting was in the old bioses that didn't have this option. If it was 30us, then I can be pretty sure that I can run d10 bioses without getting corruption, since I'm running the P2P at that setting anyways!

I appreciate any info you guys have. Thanks,

dont know the answer to your question.

But i dont know if you know this, but there is a modded d10 with latest SATA bios support, just to let ya know :D

blackjackel:

I know, I'm using one right now. TicTac Modded d10Beta2 w/ SATA 4.2.27 Bios. But new SATA Bios doesn't cure SATA Corruption.

However, just so people know: I'm writing this at 10x240, CI Enabled, 2-2-2-11, with d10Beta2 and newest 1.0.0.40 SIL Drivers and No corruption so far! This is evidence pointing towards the fact that I'm in one of those lucky, unique situations where I don't get SATA corruption from d10's!! Sweet money hello! I'll post again after I do more reboots and tests...

None of the D10s from what I understand have the"P2P-EXT Discard time" option, which is why some data corruption still exists.

I called Abit tonight, and asked their tech department and was told that 30us IS THE setting to use.

Hope this helps.

Octavian:

I know the setting itself doesn't exist, like, for you to modify. But I assume that it was a "hidden" option (for lack of a better word). IE. at default, it was 30us. But then that caused problems, so they made an option in the bios so that you could change it to 1ms etc.

Is ABIT sure they know what they're talking about? It also says in the bios, in the Description for the P2P-EXT Discard, that the right setting is 30us, but on all the forums, everyone says 30us is bad and 1ms fixes corruption.

Anyways, to update, I rebooted a ton of times, and rarred a large video file (350mb), tested its authenticity, and unrarred it (apparently people with corruption who did this found it errorred) and everything was fine. It looks like my system was a bit unstable at 10x240, I'm writing this at 10x233, and everything seems good.

Well, your point about Abit knowing what they are talking about does make me wonder if they do. I don't understand that remark in the Bios about Crushing your HD. Almost sounds like a tech note left in by mistake. I asked the Abit tech, he couldnt answer what that means... hmmmm

I love my NF7-S, but Abits silence on these issues, and the lack of a new bios that actually FIXES our problems is a bit annoying. The problems surfaced after d10 bios, we are up to d22 and we still need to use hacked bios's. 12 tries and they still cant get it right?

Sorry I even called them. Now that I think of it, I wonder how much they DO know. This sucks, when you cant rely on the SOURCE for help.

They definitely need to get their act together. An unhappy customer = one less customer. If I were building a system now, I would almost undoubtedly go with a DFI Infinity or a DFI Lanparty B. (I still might!) Those things are just smoking! 3.3v vdimm, 1.85vdd options, and 250fsb being common, it's a beautiful thing...

Back