• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System crash, multiple problems, please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafaphoto

Thanks in advance for any help, advice. Last night, my computer was doing great, until I decided to change cases. I got a used ATX case and put all my stuff in it. When I plugged it in, fans turned a little, but no boot! Blank screen with fans turning. I have it running now on a phonebook, seems ok, but it will not run in my new or old case!

It is running with a spare PSU, but will not shut down from the windows prompt, I have to pull the plug, or it will rev the fans up and down, with no display on the screen.

I have an ABIT NF7-S, and have noticed that when it is plugged in (not powered up) the red and green led's on the m/b are on. I thought the green led only lit up when it was running, don't know.

I have cleared the CMOS, running at stock speeds, but can only boot up on a phonebook! The only thing I can think of that I messed up, is leaving some of the old studs in place that did not match up to the mounting holes (support I thought). I see no obvious damage to the m/b, or any other components.

Right now I am running the hard drive, video card, and modem.

Please help me get my computer out of the phone booth and back in its case!

Oh yeah, I do not have a speaker to check m/b alert beeps, and can not find one, so I do not know if I am getting an ABIT beep code, but I do not think I am, since I can get into windows and online.

Thanks!

E

how are you turning it on and off out of the case??? i take it your shorting the pins on the mobo with a screwdriver or something????

is the power button faulty on the case per chance? try and check its making and breaking properly with a multimeter

sounds like a ground when its in the case, check the mounting holes match up with the studs, you dont want any studs touching the board, watch as well cos the traces run close to the mounting holes on that board, it happened to me once, and i was all ready for an rma.

the red and green led should only be on when the pc is switched on, only the red one should be on when its switched off.

like the sig btw, reminds me of me on a bad day lmfao

More info on my problem

I am turning it on and off by using the leads from my case. I have tried 3 different cases, and no luck. (i have the case right next to, but not touching the m/b.) I can only boot on a phone book, using my spare 300 watt PSU. Neither power supply will boot the computer in either my original or new case, and only the 300 watt will boot it on the phone book.

My original 350 watt PSU will run a 733 processor no problem, in either case! I tried to put in the new case today, made sure the only studs, or mounting brackets lined up with the 10 mounting holes on the m/b. No luck, when I plug it in, it runs for about 10 secs or so, then the fans start speeding up and slowing down, no post, nothing.

I am going crazy here!!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

E

Back