• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cant go over 169fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
im pretty sure its not the chip its the motherboard limiting something. Because i will set the fsb to 170 and when i exit and save settings in the bios and it restarts when i get the post screen or bios screen it says 169x19 when i set it at 170.

abitavenger

If you go into CPUZ, after the computer boots like that, I bet you it will say 170. My IC7-G does that with 285FSB (says 284FSB), but it reads correctly in CPUZ.

Do you think flashing the Bios to the newer one would help? I think i might do it anyway. How do i go about doing this?

abitavenger

Sure, install an updated BIOS, it can't hurt.

Go up to my IC7 links sticky thread and find the Abit utility download link. Go download the FlashMenu program. It's easy to flash a BIOS with it. I always set my computer to default speed first though, just to be sure. If something goes wrong during BIOS flashing, you are hosed.

Like was said though, it's the CPU at it's limit, not the mobo. My IC7 always shows 1 MHz less FSB than the setting on the post screen, but CPU-Z always shows that it's correct.

Lets not all jump to the conlusion its the chip. My RAM was the problem with my 2.53b and getting back to 180 from what the IT7 did with it.

If I stuck in my XMS3200LL or my Muskin I was back in business with a 180-185 FSB overclock. So you might just want to check that. Thats with dual channel, work fine in single but who wants that :)

The OCZ 3700's I had didn't like the 533 procs and anything over 160. Did fine with the 800's.

It still could be your chip but its something to look at.

I am looking at also purchasing the IC7, so that I can run Dual channel ddr. But I do have one of the "golden" Sl6s2's and it runs fabulous in my IT7 Max2 v2. I am runninng Corsair pc3200 32X8 ram in this system also. But I am afraid that I will not get this kind of o'clock with the Is7. I also have on order 2X512mb (1GB) Kingston hyperx bh-5 chips to run with my new(?) mobo. What do you guys think I should do? Go with the IC7 or another board. Thanks for any suggestions!

Back