• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help upgrading memory on my IC7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatSync

Registered
Ok, here's my situation. I have a 2.4B that can do close to 3.4Ghz stable on air (i.e. passing Prime95 overnight torture test). I would like to upgrade my memory to get a faster FSB, but I don't really want to have to replace the CPU with a 2.4C if I can help it. I would like to purchase 2x256 OCZ PC4200 EL memory and use the memory ratio settings on the BIOS to up the DDR speed, while leaving the FSB around 186-188 max in order to keep the CPU at 3.3 - 3.4Ghz. Can someone tell me if this is a good approach, and if so, how high I could expect to be able to push the OCZ on the IC7 keeping it stable. And what would be a good starting point for the divider and FSB.
I am open for any advice here even if it involves a few mb mods without getting too intricate. I do know this OCZ can handle 560DDR speeds if necessary. I'm just currently sitting here stuck at around 179FSB with this XMS3000 memory at a 1:1 ratio.

Here's a brief run-down of my system.
IC7, [email protected]@[email protected], Corsair XMS3000 2x256@2CAS [email protected], Zalman CNPS7000cu HSF, Antec 1080AMG Case w/ TruePower 430w PSU. Plenty of airflow, but still quiet.

More than likely, your CPU is hitting the wall..

2.4B's have a 4 x 133 fsb, so you're pushing it pretty far with 179.

Some folks here have B cores, so they can probably offer more info..

I don't think PC4200 will help you at all though.

Please read my post again. I would like to use the 3/2, 6/4, or 5/4 memory dividers to accomplish this without have to raise the FSB beyond 186-188 which my CPU can handle with no problem.

My OCZ 3700 EL Gold Rev 1's will not run with my IS7 above 160 FSB with my 2.53B. I had to swap to XMS LL or Muskin to run back at the 180 using 3:4. This happen on two different motherboards and CPU's.

OCZ works fine with my 2.4 & 2.6 C chips.

The memory wasn't bad is just wouldn't post past 160 no matter what.

Thats my experience anyway

too bad you don't have a 2/3 ratio.. that would be nice with your 2.4B.

I think I would go with PC3500 or so with tighter timings. A 2.4B just won't be able to take advantage of DDR500+.

You know, you are absolutely right. I didn't realize the BIOS does not have a 3/2 divider. It looks like I will have to purchase a 2.4C afterall. Can anyone offer me some advice on what stepping I should be after and where's a good place to get a good O/C'ing 2.4C. Looks like I will be trying to sell the 2.4B if anyone is interested.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!
the best running 2.4c, is the sl6z3 - newest stepping. it is probably available almost everywhere that moves their stock very quickly. this little gem will get u 3.2 to 3.4 just about guarenteed, and alot of guys are getting 3.5 with some even 3.6+. If youre looking to pair this cpu with some pc4200, i would get the komusa pc 4200 hyperram with the adata chips. it is very inexpensive compared to the rest and really screams, here a link to some of the speeds this ram is achieving.. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=273799

Thanks for your help flapperhead. However, I've already ordered a 2.8C SL6Z5 MO and 2x256 OCZ PC4200 EL. My hope is to get it to run around 3.6Ghz with a 260FSB. I chose the 2.8C because of the higher multiplier and I chose the OCZ because of the enhanced latency in hopes that I can tighten the timings beyond SPD when running it below it's spec'd 266FSB. This recent article from Anandtech convinced me to purchase the OCZ PC4200 EL http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.html?i=1972. I also wanted a little growing room for the memory as well in case I ever decide to do any voltage mods. The SL6Z5 actually shipped today. I ordered from www.pcsupplysource.com and they actually sent me an email today telling me they shipped me an SL6Z5 with MO core stepping. So I'm really holding my breath here in hopes this will all work out according to plan. If you've got any more advice, I'm certainly open for suggestions and thanks for welcoming me aboard. This is a really great forum. By the way, once I've done the upgrade, I will have a fairly nice overclockable 2.4B SL6RZ for sale at a good price as well as 2x256 Corsair XMS3000 if anyone is interested. I'm not sure the best place to try to sell it though.

Last edited:
Back