• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

painted vs non-painted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyberwiz01

what would be the temp difference between a painted heatercore and a non painted one. It seems to me that the paint would affect temps quite a bit. But I could be wrong. How would I go about removing the paint from a heatercore without damaging the radiator?

How to remove paint? I dont know :p
If you dont paint the fins your fine. Otherwise your temps will suck.
I dont know is "Weapon-" posts here but I know he posts at the [H] and XS along with some other places. I'd talk to him about this. He painted his dual fan heatercore all black by getting the right angle on his spray so ONLY the TIPS of the fins got painted. Temps werent affected and it looks sick!

The best I can think of to remove the paint would be take it to a radiator shop and have them drop it in thier acid tank. No clue how much they would charge, but I would think not to much.

Lolz vonkaar...

As long as you keep the paint very thin and on the sides, top only..Not fints. it should be ok. Try using the "Goop off" things you can buy to get latex paint off carpets... Im not too sure if that would work with the paint that would go on your rad tho... Worth a try.

LOL vonkaar. /me goes off to find pink spray paint.

Unless the paint coats the fins of the core than it shouldn't affect heat dissapation whatsoever.

I experienced a 220% increase in thermal conductivity when I painted my radiator pink

I want this increase, but I like the original copper and solder-silver colors of my un-painted heatercore. Would I get this same performance increase if I used "clear" laquer, instead?

How would I go about removing the paint from a heatercore without damaging the radiator?
--------------
Soak that baby in toluene for a day and it will remove all paint..silicone anything but won't harm the metal.

I've had better luck with neon green myself. I performed some calculations and I got about a 576.31% increase in heat transfer ability after I slathered on some neon green latex paint! Just a thought! ^^

I guess you could just strip the paint with thinner, but the problem I forsee is protecting the bare metal afterwards without coating it with something that's going to insulate it. I suppose you could galvanize or annodize the rad, but that would probably be expensive... Clearcoat would probably insulate it also. Metallic paint? What is the primer coating that jets use? Maybe you could use that, I think it's non-insulative... Maybe I'm wrong. Hmmm =T

Last edited:
Jason Kim, why would you need to coat the radiator after stripping off the paint? The whole purpose of removing the paint is to expose the bare metal to air.

..... Unless I missed something entirely.

Last edited:
I thought leaving the metal completely untreated might expose it to corrosion from the moisture in the ambient air you know? I dunno, maybe I'm inflating the problem and it's not actually a big deal :p

Haha, yeah, I strap my rig to my back whenever I go for a swim in the Arctic Ocean, cheaper than using a waterchiller! =p

Yeah, I think you're right. I guess the moisture would be negligible, forget the re-coating thing I said earlier. :D

if it is enamal paint in a very thin layer and not gunked up the passage ways of your heatercore i would not worry about it.. using to many funny solutions to get the paint of the fins other wise would be risky in my mind in reaction with the brazing the holds them together.

dont know anything about this but just tossing an idea up...

the backs of refridgerators and freezers are painted black because although black absorbs heat easiler than other colors, it also radiates it away better.

Back