• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is my problem???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tazon

i am running winxp pro sp1.
my computer was running fine until i connected it to a small network of four computers at my job. Since then i started having the following problem:

after some time of being on (varies) i am unable to use the windows explorer: it only shows "my documents" in the folders window, none of my hard drives or the net. Also, i am unable to open any "open" window in any program like word or excell, the program crashes if i do. if i select a file from the desktop to be opened by one of these programs, or select a file from the recently used list, the program opens the file and instantly crashes. I am also unable to use internet explorer: any adress i type simply does not load. i can load anything on my bookmarks, and explorer crashes if i try to open the "historial" window.
a reboot fixes everything. I run AVG antivirus, Spybot S&D, and AdAware, all updated, all periodically. i have nothing else in the background, sometimes MSN or ICQ.
The time that goes by until this happens varies, sometimes half an hour, sometimes 4 hours, but it definitely happens everyday.

HELP!

emilio

i have tried unhooking and it doesn't do any good, it still happens. i am not sure yet, but i think it doesn't happen if i am disconnected from the internet. i can't check that since i can't go without inet for too long :D
PLEASE HELP!

emilio

EDIT: uhmm, i just read something about this and thought it could be this: i was running an onboard Gforce2 and recently installed a Radeon9100, i just plugged it in and when asked for drivers used the CD.

I also just noticed that if i open explorer with my quicklaunch or desktop icon it doesn't work (it shows the explorer window and freezes) but if i open explorer with the windows key + E it works fine... WTF?

Last edited:
I'd have to say do a fresh install, most of the time(for me anyways) a repair install doesn't work

uhmmm i'm getting replys to my emails by some servers saying i have a virus. some of these are emails that appear automatically sent. i have ran all the software detailed above, and also ran the Symantec online antivirus and the PCcillin online antivirus and both came up empty. i can't afford to loose all the data on this PC with a fresh format. what else can i do?

As i mentioned before, i run AVG, Spybot S&D and Adaware, updated and regularly. AVG recently detected a worm type virus on a file called explorer.exe in the root directory, and another virus in a svchost.exe file, but reported them as cleaned. I would really like to save this windows install...

sorry I missed the AVG part, I'm sorry to say this but I have run out of ideas, I'd say go for the repair install to see if it fixes it, If it doesn't, try to backup all your files, if possible, and reinstall (though I know you really don't want to)

mmh i installed zonealarm. it seems to have fixed the problem, or at least it prevents whatever virus i have from connecting to the internet and performing whatever it is that messes up my PC. i have a thread in the networking and security forum about this. thanks a lot for all the help!

Back