• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows is now crawling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

I have a pretty fast computer, [email protected], with 512 mem 2.5 3 3 7 5:4, and winXP pro. For no aparnt reason about 1 to 2 months after a fresh install it now crawls. When I click on the start menu it takes a good 2-3 seconds for the options to popup, when i click to view desktop or fold down a window it takes 2-3 seconds...I can't explain it. I've ran norton antivirus, and ad-aware. I have over 300mb free in RAM and cpu is used about 6-10 percent.

If anyone has any ideas of what I can do to elimante this problem I would be very greatful.

Is it only in the menu options? You can change the timing on that. If everything is running funky fresh install never hurt no one ;)

While my sollution doesn't exactly fit your description, it doesn't hurt to check to make sure you've not disabled anything accidently in BIOS or elsewhere. I saw a P4 Dell at ResNet that was running worse than a Pentium 133 which had been put in "compatibility mode," which in Dell lingo, means no L2 cache. What were you doing when it happened?

Z

Turn it off and then turn it back on. Post a screenshot of your desktop. When you've done that, we'll go from there.

ThePerfectCore said:
Turn it off and then turn it back on. Post a screenshot of your desktop. When you've done that, we'll go from there.

And just how do you think a screenshot will help fix this problem :rolleyes:

Heres a few thoughts...

Have you done a "disk clean" and cleared all temporary internet files and if this system is not on a network...make sure the "automatically search for network folders and printers" is unchecked in the folder options...also when is the last time you have done a defrag?

And just how do you think a screenshot will help fix this problem

When he posts a screenshots and we all see the 80 billion icons in his system tray, we can say, "Hey man, you've got 80 billion icons in your system tray. Think that might have something to do with it?"

:p

ThePerfectCore said:

When he posts a screenshots and we all see the 80 billion icons in his system tray, we can say, "Hey man, you've got 80 billion icons in your system tray. Think that might have something to do with it?"

:p
That wont help if he hides the icons.

Do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and tell us your running processes. Do a defrag and delete temp files and whatnot as was mentioned. ResNet record for temp files is 8GB thus far (my personal record :D ) so remember that temp files DO create problems if left unchecked.

Z

That wont help if he hides the icons.

That's why we tell him to click the little arrow. :p

But seriously, we've spammed the thread enough. Let it go.

arjkette - run scandisk, chkdsk, etc. Make sure it's not your HDD giving you trouble.

I would press windows+break. Click on the hardware tab, then select device manager. Once the device manager window opened I would click onto and expand the controller which windows was running from - likely ide/atapi controllers. Right click on primary IDE channel and click properties. Click on the advanced setting tabs and observe which transfer mode it is operating in and let us know. The options should be set to DMA if available.

If your primary master hard drive is operating in PIO mode, this will painfully slow your computer down. This is a dirty little trick windows may pull occasionally - its one of the first things I correct when I do a clean install as my CD drives are always defaulting to PIO when they run much faster under Ultra DMA mode 2.

May or may not be your problem though...

It's always happening...when I execute a program it takes a long to load, when i minimize something it takes forever.
No p2p running
Will check BIOS to see if I disabled cache but that is unlikely.
I defragged the HDD, and on startup the only icons that load are, trillian (aim/msn client), weatherbug, norton, and a wireless LAN config.
Also my HDD's is on a IDE raid controller.

It seems to have started when I installed cataylist drivers over my omega drivers, but I'm not 100% sure

Problem was with the graphics driver. I took out my 9600pro and put in an old TNT2 and now it's lightning quick...hehe, thanks for the help everyone.

ajrettke said:
It seems to have started when I installed cataylist drivers over my omega drivers, but I'm not 100% sure

Should have told us that in the first place :rolleyes:

Back