• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling n00b

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArBiTaL 24

There is no spoon
Check 'www' link for my rig. It's a Lian-li pre-mod with 6 case fans and 11 fans in total... basically far too many.
It's running a P4, and i'm thinking about getting the Lian-Li PC-70 case (standard) and getting watercooling.

Now, I know nothing about watercooling, and i've looked through the stickies but it seems quite complicated, plus I didn't really want too much hassle or anything that needed too much maintenence, but the noise of this thing is driving me mad, so i've decided to get a kit for now.

So... What's the best kit around? I'm in the UK, so it has to be available here... Preferably not too expensive, but not lacking in performance either... I'd rather save a bit more for a better system than get a sheapo system and regret it.

I was looking here, I bought most of my components for my rig here and they're very good, or if there's any other places (in the UK) you can recommend that'd be cool :)

I OC a little, but not much at the moment... therefore I don't need TOP-NOTCH cooling, but as I may decide to try OCing more in the future I may need the future-proofing. Also, would I have to cut into the PC-70 case? Or would everything fit OK inside?

Also, when you buy a kit, is *everything* included? I wish to replace at least the main heatsink, but the GPU would be nice as well (9700pro). Also, what about the PSU, can you silence them? And the PC-70 has quite a few fan holes, what would I do about them, leave them open of cover them, or something else?

Also, if I go ahead with this, my case would be up for sale. Are there anyone in the UK who would be interested in it?* Would be asking around £70-£80 I guess... just getting ideas of how many people might be interested :)

Thank you all, ArB :)

Edit: just looking at the cooling roundup, there's the Corsair hydrocool at the top of the list and quite cheap. Found the HydroCool 200EX on scan.co.uk, good price... is this recommended? And does it contain everything I need?

*=note, this item is NOT for sale yet and i'm NOT selling it here. Please don't PM me asking to buy it, as it's not for sale, i'm just getting ideas as to how many people may be interested in the future. Also, I hope this is ok by forum rules, as i'm not offering the item for sale. If not, please tell me and i'll remove it :)

Last edited:
check out asetek. they make great kits. I have one myself and am extreamly happy with it. there based in denmark, i think or somewhere around there so buying them in the UK wont be hard. Infact if i remember right they even make a 220 volt kit so you would have to be hassled with any of that. Try looking around for them at online shops in the uk. i picked my kit up for about 200, which isnt to bad concedering that it comes with pump, cpu block, north bridge block, and GPU block and Rad.

*Edit* like 15 missing letters, damn new keyboard.

ArBiTaL 24 said:
Check 'www' link for my rig. It's a Lian-li pre-mod with 6 case fans and 11 fans in total... basically far too many.
It's running a P4, and i'm thinking about getting the Lian-Li PC-70 case (standard) and getting watercooling.

Now, I know nothing about watercooling, and i've looked through the stickies but it seems quite complicated, plus I didn't really want too much hassle or anything that needed too much maintenence, but the noise of this thing is driving me mad, so i've decided to get a kit for now.

So... What's the best kit around? I'm in the UK, so it has to be available here... Preferably not too expensive, but not lacking in performance either... I'd rather save a bit more for a better system than get a sheapo system and regret it.

I was looking here, I bought most of my components for my rig here and they're very good, or if there's any other places (in the UK) you can recommend that'd be cool :)

I OC a little, but not much at the moment... therefore I don't need TOP-NOTCH cooling, but as I may decide to try OCing more in the future I may need the future-proofing. Also, would I have to cut into the PC-70 case? Or would everything fit OK inside?

Also, when you buy a kit, is *everything* included? I wish to replace at least the main heatsink, but the GPU would be nice as well (9700pro). Also, what about the PSU, can you silence them? And the PC-70 has quite a few fan holes, what would I do about them, leave them open of cover them, or something else?

Also, if I go ahead with this, my case would be up for sale. Are there anyone in the UK who would be interested in it?* Would be asking around �70-�80 I guess... just getting ideas of how many people might be interested :)

Thank you all, ArB :)

Edit: just looking at the cooling roundup, there's the Corsair hydrocool at the top of the list and quite cheap. Found the HydroCool 200EX on scan.co.uk, good price... is this recommended? And does it contain everything I need?

well in a pc-70 space certainly won't be a problem... ;)
but ideally you'd cut it in order to get unobstructed ventilation for the rad(s) - if you really don't want to cut best bet is a case that takes 120mm at stock ...
you can configure a good setup here...
http://www.coolercases.co.uk/wc_kit_builder.htm
http://store.over-clock.com/CustomBuilt_Kits.html

Cool, thanks for the replies :)

pauldenton - how much room do I need for the RADs? Like, could i drill a hole or do i need the large hole? Also the construct-a-kit links are sadly no good, as I haven't got a clue what to buy (the reason i'm looking for a kit :))

@md0Cer - got ur PM, thanks :)

Tnick24 - thanks for the recommendations... I'm shooting for the UK really, as postage is going to be a nightmare as it is... also just looking around but if there's anywhere what reviews kits that'd be cool :)

Also, what about the Corsair kit?
Any more ideas/suggestions/hints&tips?

Extra info- I'm really looking to:
  • Increase cooling, decrease heat (not really a priority, but i don't want an INCREASE in heat)
  • Reduce noise (main reason)
  • Not spend too much (amount negotiable... May be more, depending on quality)
  • Easy of installation/use/maintenence (BIG plus point)
  • Minimal risk (nice safe system, watercooling worries me a bit.....)
Might influence the kit i get maybe :)

Because of where you live i would say the easiest kit to get your hands on would be an asetek. I personally have never owned one or a block but i do not think their performance is on par with how much you are paying for a kti(200-300 american dollars). I would see if you could possibly order a kit from dtek first then try dangerden for extreme water cooling. Just remember to get a good heater core or at the very least a bix.

Keep clocking:)

Cool..
Really, i'm not looking for whole brand recommendations ATM, but more actualy specific product recommendations of things that match my "extra info" criteria in my above post. Anything else of quieting my system, like quiet PSUs or etc, would also be helpful.

Also, any hints/tips/advice on constructing/testing/using/maintaining the kit as I've never done it before and none of the stickies really cover this exact thing, also it would be more specific to my actual set-up! :)

Also, no-one's yet mentioned what about that (well priced, and apparently from the rankings, unless they're out of date and no longer updated) Corsair kit. Also, if i was going to get this kit (or any kit really), can I just add extra bits (like a waterblock for the GPU) without decreasing performance, or flow or whatever?

I don't support kits. You may not care, but here is some better advice. I vote Whitewater, for performance and easy mounting, a heater core, you guys have at least one store with a premodded one, and an Eheim 1250 or Hydor L30. You may also want to look into the MCP 600 but that carries a large price tag. Everything else (tubing, fans, shrouds, etc.) is dependant on your specific needs/wants/price range.

Well, I would, but I have no knowledge whatsoever in this area and like the peace of mind of a kit, in case something goes wrong.... I gues I can always upgrade it later, if needed :)

Anyone got any ideas? Opinions on the Corsair kit?

It's a little worse than the best air. Quieter, and more expensive, though. It isn't a good idea to buy a kit.

Back