• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much heat can a barton take?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E_tron

I have a Barton on an NF7-S. I am wondering, how much heat can a Barton take? how much heat would reduce the lifespan of the processor? Is more voltage required as heat increases? Are the readings from the onboard temp reader accurate?

Ambient temperature in my room changes +/- 20f, so sometimes my core temp can reach 53c @ 2.3ghz.

The max heat for the batron is 90c...and the rule of thumb is to keep it below 50c...used to be...anything ran after 50c for longs periouds of time would shorten the lifespan of the CPU...but with todays CPUs and the less wattages it takes, not sure if that rule would actually still apply...I know it does for OCing...because when going past 40c you start to run into heat stability issues...

But I think its more wattage then heat that shortens the life spans of todays CPU's...

To be slightly pedantic, the actual maximum temperature of the chips is 85C.

If your chip is running much higher than 50 for long periods of time it might be an idea to keep a window open to reduce ambient temps or improve case cooling.

Back