• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible or Impossible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BIB

my family just bought a HP desktop from BestBuy. I could not change there mind to let me build it from them.
it has nice stuff in it. Athlon XP 2800+, 512mb pc2700, ASUS A7N8X-LA, Geforce 4 MX, DVD drive and Cdrom

now i just curious and decided to check the temps with a program because you cannot see them in the bios. Well Sandra and Motherboard Monitor picked up 55C at idle. when i went to touch the heatsink it was just a little warm. So i started folding, of course, and the temp went up to 89C right away. When i touch the heatsink i cannot keep my fingers on it for more then 10 seconds. is this right? the temps have to be misread!
it just has a stock heatsink and a coolmaster fan only spinning at 2500rpm. The computer is really silent.

yeah i already tried speedfan and i get Unable to use I/O. So nothing pops up for fan speeds and temps. I just get the cpu usage.
How would i go about fixing this? If i put on a new heatsink, i will void the three year warranty from bestbuy!

LOL
i just looked at this now. i think my readings are off a bit!
cpu v @4.08
aux 4.08
3.3 @ 4.08
5V @ 6.85
12V @ 15.91
-12V @ 4.01
-5V @ 4.05

LIKE THAT OC?:p

so how can i check my temps now?

If it is not having any performance issues then your stuck... Your family probably won't take kindly to strapping a new fan on there and replacing the heatsink will void the warranty.

Anyways, the heatsink shouldn't be that hot - when I let my chip get pretty hot after turning down my CPU fan all the way so it just barely spins, it doesn't get too hot to touch at any point... Even once windows blue screens.

If it were getting too hot, that is a good sign, because it means you have good contact between your CPU and heatsink.

Finally, I doubt your chip is getting that hot for real... My chip causes BSOD's well before it reaches 90C. It would likely be throwing errors left and right...

I'm not calling you a liar... but something might be wrong with the temp monitor. Does it respond normally to CPU load changes?

ya they do look a lil messed up, im on my laptop so i cant compair them to anythnig right now. cpu v @4.08 that your Vcore lol ya id like to see that

like IMOG it could be giving you a bad reading, my laptop has nothing for temp readings

Go to the ASUS forum or read the manual for your mobo. If you do not have the manual, you can likely download it online - it may list what kind of temp sensors you have, if you have them on that board.

With MBM I use trial and error to configure it to read the right temp sensor. I would first check your mobo manual and ensure you have the hardware sensors to read temps.

Keep in mind that you should only use one monitoring program at a time, because some programs are known to conflict with eachother if used simultaneously.

Back