• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

barton 2500 or 2600 tell me fast please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dumbfish

im will order in just a few hours there is a $8 difference they will most likely both be locked multipliers im not looking to alter them.
which is a better deal to run stock?

if the 2600 is a barton go with it, $8 is no big deal. if you ever really want to overclock though get the mobile barton processor.

2500 mobile :) dont mess aroung with a barton 2500, I have one, and I had it 3 months b4 I went mobile.

btw, You Got PM (YGPM)

great guys thanks.now how can i tell the difference between mobile and regular? and will both be socket A? so they both fit same motherboard right?

dumbfish said:
great guys thanks.now how can i tell the difference between mobile and regular? and will both be socket A? so they both fit same motherboard right?

Welcome To the Forum!

1. Any place you buy/order from will tell you if your getting a XP (regular) or XP-M (mobile).

2. Yes, the mobiles are all currently socket A.

3. Indeed, if your board will hold a 2600+ XP then it will hold a 2600+ XP-M.

Edit - Go here for all the info you could want on Mobiles
Ask all the questions you need to, most of the mobile gurus are pretty nice guys and are very helpful!

Yeah, I've seen people hitting 240-250 (480-500) FSB with the mobile Athlons on DFI boards, just incredible. Oh yeah, and they overclock way better then the desktop. Go with the mobile 2500. You simply cannot lose.

ok so your telling me that i can get a 400 fsb easier with a mobile 266
then with a 333?
i have the 400 fsb biostar board which isnt that great for overclocking there is no voltage adjustment.if that helps.

dumbfish said:
then with a 333?
i have the 400 fsb biostar board which isnt that great for overclocking there is no voltage adjustment.if that helps.
No, we're not telling you that. At least I'm not. To obtain 400 FSB or higher depends more on your memory and motherboard more then you CPU. I don't think you will be able to tap much potential out of the mobile 2500 with that Biobarf motherboard. Sorry, no offense but that motherboard simply is not an overclockers motherboard.

dumbfish said:
then with a 333?

What’s being said is, with the right motherboard, people are pushing these cards to 400FSB and beyond with very high degrees of O\C and cooling.

It’s not like people are sticking Mobile 2500+ chips in there systems and at random they hit great speeds magical, but with a little work (O\C and cooling) and the right components (motherboard, RAM, fan(s), PSU, etc) it’s indeed possible to reach the promise land. With your current board it’d probably be a very hard and tedious process to reach even the minimum levels of O\C some people are reaching, you might really want to think about upgrading that as well if you really want to go with a Mobile chip.

ok im home now so im going to buy the chip within like 15 mins.the board is m7ncd biostar.i wanna get the best chip for under $100 for it.
what is the answer than? maybe next time i will get a mobile chip and abit or asus board.but this chip is for this board until i sell them off.

ok im holding my breath having faith in you spazzmattah and im gonna buy it

will it be unlocked?

Hold on.... You might want to look at the mobile 2400 for $20 less. But From what I heard, those don't overclock as well, but others also say it overclocks about the same. But personally, I would go with the mobile 2500.

dumbfish said:
which chip for biostar m7ncd under 100$

I started with the Biostar MB and returned it for the ABit NF7-S. I was overclocking and had the following issues with the Biostar:-

1. I had to unlock the higher multipliers with a wire trick
(So much for this being marketed as an overclockers board)
Pretty easy really - no big deal.

2. The BIOS is very troublesome.
If I went straight from 13.5x@133FSB to 15x@166FSB the machine would not reboot (with higher volts on CPU)
If I did this as a two stage process:
13.5x@133FSB -> 13.5x@166FSB (reboot) ->15x@166FSB

Then this would consistently work. A big pain when one is trying to optimise the voltage level.

Unfortunately, I discovered that a cold power cycle meant that it would not boot at all and I had to clear cmos and go through the two step procedure again.
At which point, I bit the 15% restock fee from NewEgg and got the Abit, which works great.

The Biostar would have worked at 2200MHZ if you were willing to do the wire trick. Going higher than this was the problem for me........ the Biostar does have a price advantage. You may want to check out the Shuttle board.

well im stuck ive had this board for a few months so im just looking for the best chip for it. then i will sell them as a pair

crapper the 2400/2500 have different voltages i dont know which is best for my board

Last edited:
Back