• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Major Azzwhoopn

Registered
I got everything for the cooling system last week. I put it all together on Saturday night, and then noticed a small problem. It appears that the graphics card cooling block has a significantly lower amount of resistance than the CPU block does. This causes the majority of the liquid to flow to graphics card block instead of equal flow to each block. I beleive that you recomended putting them blocks in series with CPU first. I was concerned of the water temp increase to the GPU as the water will be prewarmed by the CPU. Is this a valid concern or not? Also please keep in mind that I will probably add a hard drive water cooler in the near future. The Raptor 74G 10,000 RPM drives I have is supposed to run pretty warm. Should I add a second Pump to circulate coolant to the GPU and hard drive block? Will this work off of one coolant resevoir and radiator?

I have an ASUS 875P deluxe motherboard, P4 3.2G northwood proc with 512K L2 cache, 1Gb kingston HyperZ pc4300 ram (533mhz) radeon ATI 9800XT, For cooling I have Innovateks. dual 120mm fan radiator, the 248ml external resevoir, eheim 1048 pump, and Innovatek Graph-O-Matic Rev2 for GPU, and Innovatek innovaCool Rev4 for Socket 478 CPU.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions/guidance.

If most of the coolant is going to your GPU, put the blocks inline with each other. Don't worry about which order, do whatever you choose. The temp increase from the water going through the blocks is relatively small. Don't worry too much about cooling the hard drive as long as you have decent case ventilation as well.

While I have never run anything besides a cpu block myself, I can confirm what Voodoo Rufus says: the temp increase after a block is really pretty small. Small enough to fall within the normal variation you'll see in waht a motherboard reports for cpu temps. :)

Running inline should be quite effective although I would suggest keeping the cpu block first to ensure the max pressure through the hottest component to keep the temps down there.

Having water that is 1 or 2c hotter through your video card shouldn't make much difference........

Thanks for the help

Thanks guys, I did as you said and the flow is predictable now at least. I was just fairly concerned as my GPU on the ATI 9800 XT was running with stock fan cooling around 68 c. But I have reconfigured the water system to run in series.
By the way this cooling is going into a brand new system. But I now have a larger problem, I got my new Kingston HyperZ PC4300 matched pair of 512M dimms of DDR, placed them in the proper slots 1 and 3, I have the Xaser 3 case with 7 fans, a termaltake Purepower 560w supply. I have a raptor 10,000 rpm SATA drive, and a 52x32x52x16 CD/DVD rom. I do not have a floppy drive (do I need one??) and only connection via IDE is CDrom. I have the Northwood 3.2 P4 512M L2 cache processor, and an ASUS P4C800 DELUXE motherboard (the deluxe supports WIFI). I have the 4 pin 12v ATX connection to my motherboard, and the larger connection from my supply to my mother board, I have primary IDE slot connected to CDrom, SATA1 connection to my raptor drive, front panel connection (on, reset yada, yada) connected to my mother board also. I am also using an old Nvidia GEforce 4 TI 4600 for graphics card. I have no PCI slots populated at this time.
When I turn the power supply on I get the green led on the motherboard and that is all. No boot to bios, not even a single fan comes on. their are 2 fans in the Power supply and they do not come on either (they are supposed to sense temp and vary speed accordingly so I am not sure if they should run or not.) And pressing the front panel on/off or reset does not do anything. I also have no front panel indication of power and none of the drives hard/or CDrom seem to do anything.

HELP PLEASE

I don't know. That's weird. I hate problems like that. You notice any leakage, bad CPU mount, cards not plugged in all the way and the like?

I guess you could take the entire system apart (while leaving the H2O system intact) and put it back together again.

If it was me, I would unplug everything from your motherboard but your video card, your processor and your RAM. Also you should reset your bios. This should narrow it down some. If it doesn't boot with just these devices plugged in and a default bios, then you most likely have a hardware problem. If it does boot then add your other peripheals one by one until you figure out what the problem is. If after you have one by on plugged everything back in and everything is still working, have a beer and play some video games! :D

Thanks

Great help guys, there has been asbsolutely no leakage at all on the cooling system. I will reset the mother board this evening by removing the CMOS battery. I am going to then confirm that my reset/on/off/and other connections from the casing to the chassis are correct.
Question I do not have to press the P4 chip down at all do I?? Lift the holding bracket and place chip in socket and then press down holding bracket/lever and that provides the seating for the chip correct?

yes, it should do it for the cpu. Do you have a fan plug in the cpu fan mobo header? I know some system wont boot if no fan is detected, not sure if it is a default setting or not, so resetting the bios might not help. Just try with a fan plugged in (hold the fan in your hand). If it boots, go in bios and disable the option for fan detection.

FIXED

Man, I figured it out last night. I was going to leave my new 9800xt in my old machine for gaiming until the new machine was tweaked. I was using my old Nvidia Geforce4 Ti4600 in th enew machine to set the new system up. The problem was that the ASUS P4C800 Deluxe does not support that card in the AGP slot. I think the 4600 uses 3.3v and the ASUS won't support AGP cards above 2.5 or something similar to that. So I put the 9800xt in the new machine and wham to the bios and everything is great.
Thanks for all of the help.

Back