• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

longhorn build 4008 blaster worm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theguywiththeha

hi my firend has longhorn build 4008 i installed it for him and ever since the blaster worm came out when you conect to the internet it has the same symtoms as the blaster worm with shuting down the computer is there a way to fix this tried a fire wall the one built into windows and norton one to thanks

Well if it's like Windows XP follow these instructions

Disconnect from the internet then do the following:

Restoring Internet connectivity and preventing the computer from shutting down
In many cases, on both Windows 2000 and XP, changing the settings for the Remote Call Procedure (RPC) service may allow you to connect to the Internet to obtain downloads, and will stop the computer from shutting down.

1. Click Start > Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
2. Type:

SERVICES.MSC /S

in the open line, and then click OK. (The Services window opens.)

3. In the right pane, locate the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service.

CAUTION: A service named Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator exists. Do not confuse the two.

4. Right-click the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service, and then click Properties.
5. Click the Recovery tab.
6. Using the drop-down lists, change First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures to "Restart the Service."
7. Click Apply, and then click OK.

CAUTION: Make sure that you change these settings back once you have removed the worm.

Then download and run the virus removal tool from here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe

Must be a top secret version of Longhorn otherwise I figure it would have caught the worm. I'm curious too....

Back