• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't use the mic on my rig whatsoever, tried many solutions !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R1S8K

Hi,

My motherboard is G1.sniper Z97, has sound blaster onboard.

I don't know what is the reason that the mic doesn't work.

I didn't plan to use it when I first bought the rig, and it's been since 2014 so of course the board is out of warranty time !

I uninstalled the sound blaster driver and installed Realtek driver, same problem, tried YouTube, websites' solutions. Nothing worked.

One thing improved is that the mic was used by windows service host that runs in the background, now it's used by the app I launch the mic for; like, Microsoft teams, but still not working.

Tried windows voice recorder, microphone settings, troubleshooting, ... etc.

What to do ?

We might need some additional information to help with this issue.

1. Are you using Remote Desktop to access a computer at a different location? MIcrophone input will not function from a remote location such as a WFH scenario. There are workarounds though.

2. On the computer that the mic is plugged into (Assuming Windows 10) open Sound Settings. At the bottom click App Volume and Device Preferences. Verify the correct mic is set to MS Teams (and any other app you may use like WebEx Teams).

3. Go back one page to the Sound Settings. At the far right click Microphone Privacy Settings. Ensure 'Allow Apps to Access Your Microphone' is set to ON. Scroll down to verify all apps that may need access are toggled to ON.

4. At this point you should be able to verify the mic is at least working. Go back to the Sound Settings page and check the Test Microphone section. (Make sure the mic is unmuted if it has a mute switch. I've done this)

This is all I have. If this doesn't fix it I don't know. Good luck.

1. Are you using Remote Desktop to access a computer at a different location? Microphone input will not function from a remote location such as a WFH scenario. There are workarounds though.

No, I'm just running onedrive to share cloud files with my rig and my laptop.

2. On the computer that the mic is plugged into (Assuming Windows 10) open Sound Settings. At the bottom click App Volume and Device Preferences. Verify the correct mic is set to MS Teams (and any other app you may use like WebEx Teams).

Now as I'm playing Call of Duty, it's used by the game but can't use it in game, no one hear me.

mic_issue.png

3. Go back one page to the Sound Settings. At the far right click Microphone Privacy Settings. Ensure 'Allow Apps to Access Your Microphone' is set to ON. Scroll down to verify all apps that may need access are toggled to ON.

That's done.

4. At this point you should be able to verify the mic is at least working. Go back to the Sound Settings page and check the Test Microphone section. (Make sure the mic is unmuted if it has a mute switch. I've done this)

Yes, it's working but can't record voice or talk with people on online gaming ! Really strange problem.

Could be hardware problem.

This is all I have. If this doesn't fix it I don't know. Good luck.

Check your settings in COD and make sure you don't have PTT enabled or maybe even muted in the game. If your system is recognizing and sensing the mic then it's some other software setting/issue.

The settings are default, it's not only in COD, in all apps, the mic doesn't work.

It's not apps issue, it's deeper, drivers didn't matter, as I mentioned installed Realtek, didn't work. Could it be the whole audio module ?

Everything else works fine, only the mic.

I may try something else, I may install Linux, but I don't think it's OS issue, my guess it's the hardware.

Hmm. Ok here's something else to try and could prove or eliminate hardware issues.

In the Sound Settings click the 'Device Properties' under the INPUT device. On the right side click the 'Additional Device Properties'. Pick the 'Listen' tab and check 'Listen to this Device' and Apply. You should now be able to hear yourself through your headset/speakers. If the test this device bar was moving in the Sound Settings main page but you cannot hear yourself with the Listen to this Device checked then you need to check the hardware. Maybe try a set of phone earbuds to see if you can get those to work. If you can hear yourself with the Listen to this Device, then the device is working properly and you have a setting issue in your apps.

OK, wait a minute !!!! What a joke !

The mic I'm using is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AG56HYQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it's 4 pole jack which didn't work.

I just replaced it with a normal mic I bought from Aliexpress and worked :)

This one:

37b8a50decb8fa01838474f08bea8d06

So, I think the issue is related to that the motherboard would expect a 2 pole 3.5mm jack and not 4 pole one.

Another interesting thing is that I found the professional mic I bought from Amazon's pouch that has its accessories, and surprisingly I found a 4 to 3 poles adapter connected it to the mic to the motherboard and it worked :)

20210306_150711.jpg

I'm really happy !

Thanks for help and support.

Back