• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very Happy with Geil!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeXaDeCiMaL

Never used them before but I really didn't want to shell out mega money to affod some more Corsair XMS, and the best value for money for 1Gb of memory I could find was Geil.

I previously had 2 x XMS3200C2 with BH5 that could do 2-2-2-11 standing on their head so I was a big apprihensive of selling them and getting some new memory, however I REALLY needed a Gb of mem.

So I bought the 1Gb dual channel kit of Geil 'Value' PC3200 that come with blue heatspreaders and a timings rating of a not very inspiring:

CAS2.5 4-4-8 :(

However I got this kit a couple of days ago and after a bit of tweaking this memory runs absolutely perfectly at:

CAS2 3-3-11 @ 2.63V

Giving me very similar performance to my BH5 XMS for a much cheeper price!

Needless to say i'm bery happy with my purchase :D

Note - However that no matter what the voltage I could not get the mem to run @ 2-2-3-11, 2-3-2-11, or 2-2-2-11 but still the difference is minimal anyway!

I highly reccomend this mem to anyone on a budget wanting a Gb o mem!

^ agreed, i have only heard bad things about geil how usually they require 2.9v and they are overclocked from the factory, i might have to take another look at them...

My gig of Geil Ultra pc3200 requires 2.8v to run 2-2-2-11 at 200mhz, but it runs great. for some reason now it's accepting more voltage than it used to. a month or so ago i couldn't take it past 2.9v without instability. now though i can get it to 3.2v but it still won't go past 220 mhz 3-4-4-11. definitely not a horrible brand, and there isn't much better for the price. paid $190 for my 512x2 DC kit about 2 months ago :)

I got geli for my new rig 2 weeks ago works perfect
2x 256 pc400 ddr 500 dual channel
plan on getting another set soon

the sticks look very nice they are shiny silver.
Expensive tho pay 150$ for 512

There's no XMS3200 C2 with BH-5 man.
There's 3500 with BH-5 and 3200 LL with BH-5.

You probably had BH-6s like me :)

What FSB are you running anyway?

Suma.

Suma said:

What FSB are you running anyway?

Suma.

Currently i'm just running in sync @ 200FSB.

I've got a rev 1 8RDA+ that took volt modding, and active NB cooling just to reach 200FSB stable lol so I only run 200FSB for the majority of the time, the board tops out around 212FSB, but i've not tried the mem past 200FSB @ 2-3-3-11 as yet.

According to SiSoft mem bandwith test i'm getting:

Int: ~3000Mb/s
Float: ~ 2870Mb/s

When I was using the XMS @ 2-2-2-11 I was getting:

Int: ~3070Mb/s
Float: ~2920Mb/s

So i've not lost that much performance :)

Just had a quick go at seeing what this mem will do on default timings by reducing my FSB and running the mem aSync.

@ default timings of 2.5-4-4-8 the mem did 216Mhz (433 - PC3500) no problem, no errors in memtest+ after a full loop.

I'll have a more in depth fiddle later on tonnight :)

Nice to know it'll do PC3500 if I need it to tho :D

Back