• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vdimm & VBT/VTT mods done! :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suma

Hey Guys,
I did these mods, as described here:
A_{2EB7BED1-1F77-4603-ADEC-FFD8CF7F7CEC}_normal.jpg

Working great, Vdimm is between 3.28v and 3.31v
Special Thanks to Tictac and his forums.

Suma.

I'm confused yet on the mods. I see the wire soldered for the Vdd Booster, but what are you doing to connect the pins for the yellow and white lined mods? More wire, or cutting and repairing traces?

Ok, thanks, cause I don't want to accident short anything, with the Vdd boster mod, what is your new modified chipset voltage? How much higher than default does it get, and what are you running right now, I think I might try to shoot for between 2.00v-2.05v maybe 2.1v.

Yup, I just did those too. I don't have a good ram to test it on but I'm running the PC4000 Kingston HyperX at 241fsb (3-4-4-11). Before, I could never get above 222fb.

Is that white line an actual point where you solder two wires? For some reason, I had thought that the yellow and the green lines were the only two mods.

What does connecting the points with the white line do (if it's actually needed)?

Can I do these 3 mods if I already have the vdd and vdimm mods? Will the other mods interfere with what these 3 do?

If you already have the mods then my guess is you wont need them. Vdd refers to the chipset voltage, so Vdd booster(green line) I'm assuming is just another Vdd mod, I would like to know which is more effective, the booster or the pencil trick on a certain resistor? The yellow line to use the +3.3v rail to power the dimms, and the white line is to regulate it, from what I understand, if I understand it correctly. So if you already have a vdimm mod, I dont know what will happen.

jlin453 said:
Yup, I just did those too. I don't have a good ram to test it on but I'm running the PC4000 Kingston HyperX at 241fsb (3-4-4-11). Before, I could never get above 222fb.

Damn man!
My mobo won't go above 225-230~
:(

necromanx13x said:
Can I do these 3 mods if I already have the vdd and vdimm mods? Will the other mods interfere with what these 3 do?

Depends what kind of Vdimm mod do you have.

Suma.

I have the Vdimm mod where you break off the resistor and connect a VR to the left leg of mosfet and the right solder point where the resistor was.

from what I read: vdd booster stabilizes the vdd at higher voltages. you can still perform that vdimm mod, just turn the resistance to zero on your variable resister(if that's what you did). Of course, if you did do that mod I don't see why you'd want to do this one. It's better if you can adjust the vdimm.

Yeah but youre supposed to keep the vdimm .1-.2V below your 3.3V rail with the way I did the vdimm mod for stability. I assume that this is not an issue with this vdimm mod since it sets your vdimm = 3.3V rail? If thats the case I would definitely do this mod. Also what exactly does the vtt = vref do? Ive read alot about these mods but I havent found a real answer to that.

Last edited:
Vref is always (no matter what mods u do) half of the Vdimm, by shorting the Vref and VBT/VTT your'e overriding the value set by the Winbond chip and using the Vref as your VBT/VTT which supplies 1/2vdimm which is excatly what it should be.

Suma.

What about my other question? When doing the vdimm = v i/o mod are there any stability problems having the vdimm = 3.3V rail? I know this is an issue with other vdimm mods but does it apply here also?

What do you mean by stability issues?
I thought I had one, one day it simply stopped working using DC DDR. Well I thoght it was the mod, then I flashed back from bios 23 subzero to the 22bk and everything works fine, 230 2-3-2-5 (CH-5) CPU Interface Enabled, and DUAL CHANNEL.

Suma.

I've done this mod but haven't turned anything on yet. (Waiting for my chiller!) So with what I have done my memory will get 3.3V, or there abouts, regardless of what I have it set to in the bios correct?

I have both 2xBuffalo PC3700 256Mb BH-5 and 2xKingston HyperX PC3500 256Mb (not sure if it is CH-5 or BH-5, it is older so I think BH-5). Which would be better to use with that voltage? The Buffalo has never disappointed so far and both should perform equally well if it is the same chip but the Kingston has heat spreaders on it and is prettier. Is one better than the other?

I'd use the Buffalo, don't ask me why :p
Anyway check'em both, use the better preformer.

Suma.

Back