• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I get SATA with NF7 non S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ixnay

Can anyone tell me what I will need to go from IDE to SATA with my Abit NF-7 non S and if its even worth it?

Thanks.

I agree with what Suma said. Just get a PCI card with an SATA controller. I do not beleive the normal NF7 comes with SATA. I think only the NF7-S has it becuase not only does the S have Soundstorm thanks to the MCP-T southbridge, but it has SATA.

and if its even worth it?

That would have to depend. Are you planning on doing a motherboard upgrade in the future? SATA is not really that big now, benchmarks prove that for normal drives SATA 150 does not really help that much over ATA 133 and 100. The real benefit is some of the faster 10k RPM drives such as Hitachi's 300Gb 4 platter one that just came out, and the 10k WD raptors. In the future just about all of the motherboards will have SATA, so if you need to upgrade your HDD's now, then it would probably be more worth it to get SATA and an SATA drive that is fast, like one of the 10k rpm ones. But, if it is not really that nessesary, I would just hold off untill the next time you get a new motherboard/proc etc. I personally am going to hold off on alot of things, pretty much all upgrades for a year or two until it becomes nesscessary to build a completely new rig from the ground up. I might get a video card for free via review, and a motherboard or ram, but other than that, I cant see myself upgrading.

-0cer
:cool:

Great, thanks guys thats what I needed to know.

I guess I'll hold off on SATA untill I upgrade to A64 if its not THAT much better than a fast IDE drive.

BTW, anyone know what the fastest IDE drive is?

Are those faster than Western Digital Special Edition? (with 8mb cache)

Maybe, but not by too much. Probably quieter.

ATA133 is no faster than ATA100 as an IDE drive only does 25 MB/s sustained or less.

disk11 said:
Maybe, but not by too much. Probably quieter.

ATA133 is no faster than ATA100 as an IDE drive only does 25 MB/s sustained or less.

Ah...funny how both my 160G and 80G Maxtor HDD's both get over 25MB :rolleyes:

(Maxtor 160G w/8mb Cache)

Si_Sandra.JPG

HDDT.JPG

Ah...funny how both my 160G and 80G Maxtor HDD's both get over 25MB

Transfer a large file and you will see what I'm talking about. No way a IDE drive can sustain the 45 MB/s suggested by HD tach. That's SCSI territory.

Forget SANDRA, that number you showed me is an average of several tests which does not equalte the the sustained transfer rate I'm talking about.

Back