• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice/Tips on my OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tansi_Yo

Registered
Hey Guys,

First time poster here..been lurking for a few weeks here. First off, I want to thank everyone who posts here. I have found a plethora of information on this board to help me OC my current rig. ^^

Now down to the nitty gritty. Recently, I purchased an Abit NF7-S v 2 motherboard as well as an amd mobile 2600. For the past few days I have been in the process of oc'in my sys. Currently I am Prime stable at this:

pcstats.JPG

No matter how far I up my cpu voltage or lower my multiplier I cant seem to get a stable speed around 200. I am thinking its my RAM that is limiting me..but of course I'm not quite sure. Now, if its my RAM that is limiting me does anyone have any suggestions on what RAM I should purchase. I would like to get above 200 for my bus. I really dont want to spend close to 400 dollars for the bh6 ram stuff but I'm willing to spend up to 300 dollars for 2 512's.

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanxs..

Last edited:
All your sticks are PC3200? Then lower the multiplier and hit 200 FSB with a lower multiplier and relaxed or automatic RAM timings.

Then, keeping a low multiplier and increased Vdimm voltage, increase the FSB with relaxed or Automatic RAM timings.

PC3200 should do 200 FSB at default as long as the multilpier is low.

Stick with what you have just now and as stated try out some more relaxed timings for your RAM. Also try running just one stick to see if that makes a difference then try the other one alone as well to see if there is any performance difference between the two. Your Vdimm is around 3 so that should not be an issue and you have already said you have tried lower multis at same FSB so the cpu is not holding you back either. Temps look ok only thing else I would like to see are 5 and 12v rails purely to eliminate them as an issue.

OC Detective said:
Stick with what you have just now and as stated try out some more relaxed timings for your RAM. Also try running just one stick to see if that makes a difference then try the other one alone as well to see if there is any performance difference between the two. Your Vdimm is around 3 so that should not be an issue and you have already said you have tried lower multis at same FSB so the cpu is not holding you back either. Temps look ok only thing else I would like to see are 5 and 12v rails purely to eliminate them as an issue.

How do I find out my 5 and 12v rails? What exactly are rails?

It is a reference to the voltage reading being taken on the 5v power line and the 12v power line. The software should report this also.

Look at your monitor setting in the screenshot provided you already have the 3.3v rail given you need to change the settings somehow to provide the 5 and 12v rails.

No no, its not your ram. its a problem common to almost all nf7-s mobos, they have a problem getting tbred/barton cpu with default 266FSB to anythin much higher than 400FSB. you need to do the L12 mod on the mobo to be able to use higher fsb. this is one possible solution.

OC Detective said:
Look at your monitor setting in the screenshot provided you already have the 3.3v rail given you need to change the settings somehow to provide the 5 and 12v rails.

I had quite a few numbers showing on my display: 5.1v, 12.1, -12.4v, -5.5v. Any of this makes sense?

I'm going to have to replace my RAM anyways because the sticks I currently have in my pc are on loan to me. So, any tips on what ram I should look to get would be great..(dont wanna pay close to 400 for bh6..willing to spend up to 300 dollars ).

Gogeta_G3D said:
No no, its not your ram. its a problem common to almost all nf7-s mobos, they have a problem getting tbred/barton cpu with default 266FSB to anythin much higher than 400FSB. you need to do the L12 mod on the mobo to be able to use higher fsb. this is one possible solution.

Where can I find instructions on doing this mod?
Anyone here have done the L12 mod on the mobiles? Notice any difference?

Back