• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp 1800+ KD7-raid FSB question(s)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StoneRyno

Ok I've been tinkering around with o/c on this. I'm new so be patient with me. Here is a link to a thread that I have gotten some info in so far and also provides some of the info anyone responding may want to know.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=293021

With that said, here is my question(s) with a little bit of info that I have gathered that will hopefully give anyone an idea of what I have gathered so far. Ok from reading the forums I have discovered that the agp and pci can't be locked via the bios unless there is a post I missed. So I was like ok I should be able to up the fsb to 166 and with the 5:2:1 ratio that will keep the agp and pci at their normal clock. I am wondering what the effects are of the inbetween does the agp and pci run at lower than normal clock or does the mobo compensate or something to keep the clocks at 66 and 33. On the oposite end what about o/c of the agp and pci due to keeping at the 4:2:1 ratio? Also am wondering about the ram. As in my experimenting listed in the other thread it was stated that its possible the ram might be holding back o/c more. Would o/c the ram help in obtaining a higher o/c? And finally what do I want to take into consideration in changing the fsb and possible o/c of the agp, pci, and ram?

Hopefully this isn't too much for one post. But I am slowly beggining to understand some of this o/c stuff.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide and if nothing else some helpful pointers.

Abit KD7-RAID | 1800+ with volcano 12
crucial PC2100 512MB x2 (1024MB)
intake 3 Evercool 80mm (3000rpm) aluminum
out side 1 Evercool 120mm (2200rpm) aluminum
PSU Allied 400W
Leadtek GeForce4 MX440 AGP8x 64MB
2x 120GB and 2x 250GB WD 7200 8MB

If you're running at a 5:2:1 ratio, that's what the motherboard keeps it at. Say you try to run a 185MHz fsb. You'd have a PCI bus of 37MHz, AGP of 74MHz and memory rate of 185MHz.

But because of your memory, you're going to want to avoid running the FSB far higher than 133-140. I wouldn't expect you to get too much out of it.

You mentioned in your other thread that 14x133 was not stable. This makes it seem like your processor is a T-Bred A, not a very good overclocker, and the best you could probably expect from it is about 1.8-1.9GHz using 1.9v or higher.

I'd suggest replacing your memory with something nicer, so that you could get a better front side bus, at least, even whilst running at relatively low processor speeds.

Currenty it is set to keep the ram at its designed clock aka byspd setting, default, in the bios (according to the manual this setting querys the ram chip for its speed and runs it at that). Basically I undestand the ratio thing your example helped out a bit more than the one in the manual. So I can expect the agp and pci clocks to be a little high or a little low depending on the fsb setting and ratio.

Will changing the ram settings help in obtaining a higher o/c? I thought the cpu was a B. Aside from pulling the heat sink off and cleaning the ac5 off and starting over how can i tell if its an A or B.

Also the 14x133 i didn't try to go past 1.65v since I'm new I didn't want to go too far a mess up my pc. When I did the 15x133 and went up on the voltage that was based on someone elses attempt so I figured I'd be farely safe on it.

So anyways I figured the fsb was a better route to go than trying to go above the 13.5 multiplier as i look at more posts i see alot of higher fsbs. And basically want to know what I'm doing and how it affects the system before I go and mess with it.

If I can increase the fsb without having to add new ram to the system I think I will be happy for my 1st o/c experience. If i can get 2.0-2.1ghz out of it I'll jump for joy lol. If i read the cpu database correctly the avg is about 2.1ghz. Plus just a quick down the list I see others with various KD7 mobos getting over 2.0ghz most of the ones over 2.5 are water cooled so thats why I aided for a more realistic number of 2.0ghz :)

I think overall my main concern is too much voltage as I read posts about too much voltage damaging or killing cpus.

Lets take the idea of increasing the fsb to 140 the high end of the range you listed. If i keep the ratio at the current setting of 4:2:1 then I would have agp at 70 and pci at 35 right? Now the ram is an area I haven't looked into the custom settings much, mainly because I have no idea what they do (mobo manual is a bit confusing and not very desciptive). I understand the clock setting allows me to change it from the default to 100, 133, 166, or 200. There is also a timing setting with several sub settings if manual is chosen. There is a good number of other setting I'm clueless on in the ram settings page. What can I expect to happen or need to be aware of when increasing the fsb to 140 and with any possible ram setting changes we might make?

Back