• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Combining Phase-change and TEC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Finken

I was thinking about a few ways to use both a peltier and a prommie together, and I'd like to hear what you guys think of it...

1. Cool the hot side of the TEC with an evaporator, would this be worth trying?

2. Use the phase change cooling as a water chiller and cool the TEC with cold water. (in that case the cold water could also be used to cool AGP a lot more without the need for a TEC)

Is this something that could be done, and would you gain temps on it..?

yeah i think it would definately bew worth it if you already have the parts lying around, and if so try stacking pelts and see how low you could get it to go
but if you don't already have the parts i would suggest just a prommie would do just fine and use alot less power than both the prommie and the psu('S)
but whatever floats your boat

~Magick_Man~

Yeah, I know a prommie is more efficient, so you get more cooling for the same (or less) power consumed.

But I already have a Swiftech MCW478-UHT (with 226W TEC) and I could ge a used mach I pretty cheap ..like 400$-450$

what do you guis think would be the best thing to do with a 226W TEC and a prommie?

Finken said:

what do you guis think would be the best thing to do with a 226W TEC and a prommie?
Run a duallie, TEC on one core, prommie on the other. It'd be interesting to say the least.

hehe to see which one is better? :)

no, I can't really afford a dual :(
and besides, with the cash I do have I'd rather get one faster rig...

I think it's more interesting to see if I could get REALLY low temps buy cooling the TEC with a prommie... or use the prommie as a chiller.

That would require some sort of WB for the coolant to run through with the evaporator attached to it, or a tank with a heatsink...

Lets see if you could get -45c on the Prommie alone you may be able to drop that down to -60c with the TEC too. That is just a guess.

It'll be a while til I actually start playing around with this, but I will surely do something! And I'll let you all know when I do ;)

A Mach II isint designed to handle the heatload. It is designed for something like 180 watts of heat. The TEC will put out that much than add the CPU and the Mach II wont keep up.

Actully it's a mach I but I guess that's even worse if you're right and it is an issue...

You think it's better to use it as a water chiller?

You dont get it do you, the mach I is built to handle a certain heatload, even if you use it to chill water your still putting the same amount of heat in, more actualy as no matter how well you insulate your res it will add heat. Please tell me your not actualy considering spending $400-$500 on a Prometia system and then using it to chill water??? Go down the local junk and buy yourself an old fridge-freezer or dehumidifier or better yet A/C unit, and make your self a water chiller, its not difficult, less difficult than trying to fit a res into a prommy.....Direct die cooling is better, its plain and simple.

yeah thanks a lot for the support theo

It's a good thing you don't try to sound as if I'm stupid...

just to add a little to the discussion, TEC run better at high temperature (hot side), so cooling your TEC's hot side @ -45°C will make pretty much useless. Actually, you would probably have worse result (higher temp) than using the prommie straight.

Sorry

I get grumpy sometimes. I apologise, I was a little harsh. The fact I'm in the process of constructing my own direct die system, so when I see someone thinking about turning a direct die system into a water chiller it almost makes me want to scream, water chillers are easy to make in comparisson. Anyway good luck with what you choose to do, and I agree with the guy above, go find yourself a tec performance chart, that shows the temp difference between the two sides at different temperature, you'l see that there is hardly any difference when you have the hot side at -40 hehe :)

no problem ;)

I was worried about that part. I didn't really expect dT to be as big at lower temps.

Anyway, I guess it's not going to work...

I've been thinking about some other things, and I can probably come up with a lot better things to do :)

hehe that's not a bad idea...

but I have to admit that I don't know anything about it :(
just happend to hear about it in some posts but haven't had the opportunity to learn about it...

If I had to guess I'd say that you use one form of cooling to cool a more powerful one allowing it to be extra powerful. Right?

just use the prommy direct die IF ANYTHING! but yeah i have also been wondering about a TEC cooled by a prommy...but when u think about it the prommy WILL "handle" the load it just wont be "cool" but it will be cooler then with air or water.....but it will put MASSIVE starin on the prommy...if u get one just use it one the core....

yes, I have been using it for about 3 days now

I don't get very good contact to the core for some reason, but managed to get 7°C lower temp with a fan on the NB.

anyway... I'll try something fun and extreme in the winter when I can take advantage of the -20°C air that's not so rare here :)

Finken said:
Yeah, I know a prommie is more efficient, so you get more cooling for the same (or less) power consumed.

But I already have a Swiftech MCW478-UHT (with 226W TEC) and I could ge a used mach I pretty cheap ..like 400$-450$

hit up www.Kit-Tronics.com and get a prommie for 477.29 brand new ...worth the extra dollarz

Back