• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have a 8000 BTU AC sitting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BioTuned

I have this 8000 BTU ac sitting around in the house. and i want to use that to make me a water-chiller. what should i do to turn it into a water chiller. help please...

:drool: that's a big AC unit.....

To make a chiller out of it you will need to:

-disconnect the fan on the evaporator, and cut of the shaft, you arn't going to need it in the way.

-disconnect the thermostat or put it somewhere hot so the AC unit is always on.

-Put the evaporator in an insulated tank filled with a fluid that won't freeze up to at least -50 C

-Connect your water cooling so that it pumps the cold fluid.

This is just a breif overview of what you need to do. You can read more about making a waterchiller on this forum, or over at Xtream systems. They have an entire section just for chilled water cooling. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/

Good luck with it :)

Well first off you need to go to Xtreme Systems Forums and read this thread:

Chiller Sticky

I know its super long but you really didnt think this was gonna be easy did you :p . Then I would join those forums and ask any other questions you may still have. Lotec25 just made what you are proboly thinking about out of an old AC unit he found.

Make sure to take pics of your progress and post them up here so more people can learn how its done :D .

BirTuned,

Man rip that thing apart and lets see what we can do with it. The temps will not be really low but it will sure pull down fast. When i picked up the one i got there was another there it was a 8500 BTU but the guy wanted 60 for it. I wanted it though. It is easy i spent a total of like 40 dollars total so far for all the supplies i need. Just doing my coolant test now.

Lotec25

1. I picked up some pipe instulation to put on the tubbing. 3 dollars

2. i got some seal string from NAPA auto parts 6 dollars

3. i got an old camping mat i just had it laying around they are like 2 dollars at a surplus store

4. i got the cooler from ACE hardware. the dang cooler cost more then the A/C unit 20 dollars

and that is all you need so i spent a total of around 30 dollars. All you have to rember is INSULATION. Dont let the puter get wet.

Lotec25

Freeze it!

Back