• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing new barton 2800+??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buddha1822

typical OCs for new barton 2800+??

Hey... I currently got my 2100+ OCed comp (check all specific stats below) and so on. It took a DAMN long time to get it OCed correctly and perfectly stable... was a helluva process, but anyway, I don't ever touch my BIOS for fear of messing up it's perfect settings :p

Anyway, I got a new Barton 2800+ proc for free, and was considering installing it but was a bit worried. I'm not sure if I can clock it up to the same speed (or more, 2.4 maybe) as my current processor. I want to overclock and be able to keep it stable, but I've been out of the "overclocking-loop" so long, I don't remember how stable or how well certain Barton's OC.... The info on it is AQYHA 0401.

How well does it OC (what's the area where people usually get stable ocs to with SLK-800 air cooling??), what are typical FSB and multi settings for the Barton 2800+ and so on and so forth!! Thanx for all of your help! :)

That chip should be a very good overclocker, one thing though, its multiplier is locked at x12.5, so take a note at that. otherwise, it should do better than your Tbred, and even at the same speeds a barton is still faster than a Tbred because of the increased cache. The Tbred would have to be about 100-150MHz faster to have about the same performance of a barton.

nice nice, that's why I'm going to put it in :D about the multi tho, what do I have to do to unlock it? Do I need to buy one of those plastic unlockers or should I do my own soldering or wha??

You might be lucky and manage to get to an FSB of 200 MHz. That would give you 2.5 GHz. Unlikely, but not unknown. It'll need volts though, lots of volts. It should fairly easily pass 2.2 GHz though, and at that would still be better performing in most things than the T-Bred due to the extra cache.

Now if you know where I could get one for free...

Ahhh I understand now... Aight, I'm thinking of just putting it at 1.85vcore anyway, that's the most stable I've ever got using this setup. And then just slowly bump up the FSB until it gets unstable, or until I'm satisfied!

Question tho, what should I put the mem timings at for it to stay stable running at higher FSB and no multi change?? I've always had trouble finding the most stable mem timings and need help/suggestions on it :(

You could loosen them a fair bit so that you could raise the FSB higher and know that you have that bit of headroom on the RAM. But seeing as the chances are you won't even pass stock speeds on the RAM you should be able to run them at the lowest timings they can work at.

Or you could just leave them at auto or something like that. I don't know the ins and outs of Asus boards. Sentential has found that leaving the timings at auto has ended up providing better bandwidth, even compared to manually setting them lower.

Here's what he said: "You see...using "Auto" RAM timings provides the same if not better bandwith than 2.5-3-4-11. Not only this but it OCs *much* MUCH better, as if it were using 3-4-4-11, but dosnt sacrifice *any* bandwith in the process."

Last edited:
Are you talking about auto mem settings like "Aggressive" or "Normal" cause I checked my options and I have 3 choices, normal/standard, which is what it is set at, aggressive, or custom, so which of those should I do, even for the auto settings?

I was just checking around my BIOS and got some new info I wanted to post about... I was wondering, in the following BIOS settings, what should they be at for the best performance with the following hardware below and the new OCed 2800+ going in?

Memory Frequency (set to By SPD now)
Memory Timings (Aggressive or Optimal or User Defined, this is question in post right before this)
Graphics Aperture Size
AGP Frequency
System BIOS Cacheable
Video RAM Cacheable
DDR Reference Voltage (set as 2.8V)
AGP VDDQ Voltage

And then my last question. When I got this 2100+, I had to do that big complicated burn-in process that was supposed to be 48 hours of the lowest FSB setting running at 100% CPU usage to "burn-in" the processor. What is suggested, do I do this again for the 2800+ this time around, and if so, what should I set everything at to burn it in properly?? Thanx!! :)

That stick of RAM should be able to do 2-2-2-11 (11 is for best performance on NF2 chipsets) at the speed that is listed in the sig.

The Coolest said:
That stick of RAM should be able to do 2-2-2-11 (11 is for best performance on NF2 chipsets) at the speed that is listed in the sig.
yeh, but, the speeds in my sig aren't what this will be. It will be more like 192 x 12.5 using a 2800+... what bout for that, same suggestion??

Hello Buddha,

I am using a Barton 2800+ with your same motherboard, bios 1007, and cheap PC2700 RAM.

I have achieved a seemingly stable overclock to 2.25Ghz by raising the FSB to 180Mhz. SiSoft Sandra reports that its running faster than ever (even more than a 3200+), and Prime95 has been runnig for a few hours now. It'll be the judge of wether this overclock will remain.

By the way, I did this without having to raise the voltage at all.

Back