• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how big as for a water chiller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magick_man

Forum Magician
i was wondering how big of an a/c you would need to use for a waterchiller in a w/c setup?
i found 1 for 75 new it is 5000 btu's
would this be good or do i need more along the lines of 6500-7000 and up

thnx, ~Magick_Man~

Lotec25 just made a really nice water chiller out of an old 5800 BTU A/C unit and is reaching temps of -25.5c :eek: . I plan on getting a A/C unit somewhere between 5-6000 BTU's. With coolant temps of -25c you should see negative temps at the socket.

I dont know the heat capacity that an A/C unit of that size could hold but I only plan on cooling my CPU (due to how much insulation is needed).

I would think the 5000 BTU unit would be good enough unless you planned on going really crazy... but you could always do that later with the experience you learned from this set-up :) .

well i would kind of like to do cpu, vid, and possibly nb
but the nb is not nessecary, (ill slap my sp94 on it, lol)

i think i might try to go with a 6000 btu and hope that it will work.
i am going to have to geteverything including w/c stuff

this could get expensive.

prolly gonna have to wait till i get my second job for summer, then ill be raking in the big bucks

hopefully then ill be able to get all the stuff i need.

Thnx, ~Magick_Man~

Well when you get this up and running make sure to post some pictures and tell us how you insulated your GPU. I have heard that its a real pain to do it properly.

a 5,000 btu unit is good enough, if you want best results get a piercing valve and tweak it, and better on the power bill

score, the only problem is now my dad is saying it may cool my computer but it will heat up my room quite a bit.
have any of you noticed an increase of room temps.

Thnx all, ~Magick_Man~

Magick_man,

Yes it does get kind of hot in the room. How much not enough to notice if you put your hand behind it you can feel it. The hot air is only around for about 10 to 15 min and then it turns to colder air. The only reason it gets hot is to transfer the heat. As soon as the liquid gets cooled off to about 10C you will be fine. The biggest problem i am finding is a pump at those temps i just ordered a mag 5 i put my ViaAqua in the liguid when it hit -25C and it took a dump. You do not need no more then a 5000 BTU unit. The only thing you gain from haveing a bigger unit is the pull down time. Like this On a 5000BTU your pull down time will be around 20 min to get to -20C on a 6000 it will be some where around 10 min this is assuming you are using the same amount of liquid. But you also have to use more liquid with the bigger A/C unit therefor you need more time to pull it down. So i would just go with the cheaper 5000BTU unit and save yourself some money for some of the other stuff you need to buy. Also keep a look out for old units those are the best becasue no one usually wants them so there willing to sell them really cheap. Just rember to keep the res as small as possible the less liquid the faster the pull down time. Also you can tweak it later on with a couple tools to make it hit around -40 to -50C.

Lotec25

Freeze it!

Sweet, unless i can find one used for pretty cheap i think i will just get the new one for 75

i think i will need 75 for the ac,
25-30 for the tubing,
40-50 for cpu wb
40 for gpu wb
prolly 20-30 for fittings and clamps
and how much for that pump that you got.?

Thnx,~Magick_Man~

the mag 5 pump is around 50 to 65 dollars. What kind of tubbing you going to use? i just got some reinforced from the local hardware store cost me about 4 dollars for 10 feet of it clamps go to the local auto store you can get 5 of them for 3 dollars. and what fittings do you need? you can get them at your local hardware store to for about 1 dollar a piece. Also they have the nice shinny silver plated ones at home depot for 1.50 a piece. As for the A/C call your local pawn shops and look at flea markets this weekend. also check ebay there are a few on there that are really cheap. Also call the salvation army or the goodwill. It is the season for them. Some people will be geeting nice new central air this summer. I was at the flea market again this last weekend and see 3 of them all for 30 dollars or less. I just cant explain to my wife why i am buying so many. LOL

Lotec25

i really dont know what i need as far as tubing or fittings, i was just making a wild guess
unfortunately it is going to be a while (atleast a month prolly 2)before i can start assembling parts for it.
but who knows if i can get 30-40$ i might try "traders village" this weekend or next.
you can buy just about everything there,
if you don't mind the possibility of it being stolen
sooner or later i will make a list of stuff ill need and start assembling pieces

Thnx for the help lotec, ~Magick_Man~

Back