• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sub-Zero water/peltier cooling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Binary

Hi, I've been looking at phase cooling, water cooling, and TEC cooling and done alot of research on them all. I don't like alot of these newer cases with the big designer fronts or glass sides that only expose have the case and I did want a full tower full size case for drive space so I decided on the Lian-Li PC-75B case.

I also decided that I don't want to do phase cooling because I dont want the big hurky object that hangs off my case nor do I like the selection of the cases that offer phase coolers built on to them. One more thing I want to cool not just my CPU but my chipset, vid card, and hdd's. One thing I do want to do is some EXTREME overclocking! I mean 2.5 Ghz OVERCLOCKED OR MORE of my CPU!

Now I went and looked at putting the peltiers onto my cpu only and water cool that then daisy chain off to everything else so I've done my homework and made up some pretty cool design's of cooling the water to about -20 degree's celsius. The way I got this is by doing normal water cooling setup but when your about to put your water into the system make it a mixture of 60% water and 40% Methanol. Doing this will keep the water from freezing over and keep it viscous and keep it's fast heat disapation rate and high heat capacity.

When you have most of your water system setup do NOT install a radiator but instead you have to use a solid copper block 80mm x 80mm x 100mm (WxHxL) with holes drilled through it lenght-wise (I'll have images soon). At the end's use copper "U" pipes to loop the holes back and have at one end two heads sticking out to hook your pipes up to. Remember that when you drill the holes to make them about 1/8" larger than the pipe size your using, the reason for this is that you have to take 1/2" of copper pipe and thread 1/4" of it and thread 1/4" into each hole so you can hook you copper loops up to it and your head for your pipes. Now that the main cooler is made I hooked up 2 226 Watt Peltiers from FrozenCPU (http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/exp-01.html) on one of the sides with a custom fitted heatsink fitted over them and attached to the water cooler with the cold side of the peltiers to the water side (of coarse). Just a note to let you now the heatsink is just another peice of solid copper with 1/8" holes drilled consecutively to make rough ragged fins that have lots of surface area. The top of this heatsink is intact to help make a wind tunnel, so when I attached two variable speed fans on the ends one sucking air in the other blowing it out hence a wind tunnel.

I used two high RPM fans that move at fast speed over 80 CFM to really keep the heatsinks cool. I also used the auxilary power supply that FrozenCPU has (http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ex-psu-01.html) and hooked the two peltiers up to that. I also had the peliers on a fan controller nob to controller how cool it gets so I could turn the fans down with out the peltiers burning up.

Note: I had the water cooler milled at my school.

Hmm... the water chiller is basically the same thing I am currently making, only with bigger TEC's and stuff. One question, is this setup something that you HAVE built and running, or something that you are PLANNING to build? I can't see how you could possably be running 2 226 watt pelts of a power supply that is rated for 25 amps. The 2 pelts will draw about 38 amps, which would melt that supply in no time. Maby the pelts are 226 watts at 15 volts, but that is still around 25 amps between them.

Back