• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how far you think i can push it on air?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drec

Well i dont wanna push it to hard but i want a good o/c keeping the temp as low as possible..(not over 45*C..50*C at most) i got her running at 2.29GHz right now, my FSB is 182 with the 12.5x multiplier..stock vCore..1.65v i belive?, shes running pretty cool to..CPU temp hovering around 37*C :D (i keep my room cold), i was wondering if anyone had a personal experiance with an air cooled AXP 2800+ and would like to suggest a frequency limit on that bus, and if i should knotch up the voltage, its running stable as of now and i would very much like to keep it that way.

Also i was wondering, since my max FSB on the motherboard is 400Mhz, (which is the 200MHz setting, still not sure why its halved), and the max multiplier is 12.5 does that mean i cant clock any higher then the 200 x 12.5 = 2.5GHz?

thanks alot.

-Drec

First of all, FSB = half the DDR speed.

DDR is your memory. It's dual-pumped, meaning that each clock cycle, it communicates with the memory twice, effectively running at 400 Mhz.

Keep temps below 60C.

You should be able to get at least 200x12, but you'll need about 1.75-1.8 vcore.

You can push harder than 200mhz FSB. They just say that's the max FSb b/c that's the max the board will support.

greenman100 said:

You can push harder than 200mhz FSB. They just say that's the max FSb b/c that's the max the board will support.

He's got an A7V8X with a Via chipset, which means no PCI lock. He needs to keep his PCI bus as close to 33mhz as possible, right now it's 182/5=36.4mhz. Going over 38mhz or so is a Bad Thing, and can lead to instability and hard drive corruption. He may not be able to go much further, he might hit 200mhz but that's a PCI speed of 40mhz.

He needs to keep his PCI bus as close to 33mhz as possible, right now it's 182/5=36.4mhz. Going over 38mhz or so is a Bad Thing, and can lead to instability and hard drive corruption. He may not be able to go much further, he might hit 200mhz but that's a PCI speed of 40mhz. [/B]

ok this i was not aware of,..but if this is true how am i supposed to o/c more without running the risk of corrupting my hard drive?, compared to what other people are overclocking my oc is minor. only gained 200MHz CPU speed so far..so how do others oc faster without this 'problem'?

thanks.

-Drec

wpmegee said:

He's got an A7V8X with a Via chipset, which means no PCI lock. He needs to keep his PCI bus as close to 33mhz as possible, right now it's 182/5=36.4mhz. Going over 38mhz or so is a Bad Thing, and can lead to instability and hard drive corruption. He may not be able to go much further, he might hit 200mhz but that's a PCI speed of 40mhz.

I thought he had the /6 divider.

looks like you'll have to keep it around 182, and increase your multiplier, if you can.

You should be able to take your FSB up to the high 180s. You might be able to get it there w/o a vcore jump. If you do, 1.675v will probably do it.

Anything over~190 FSB and you are running your other components way out of spec.

What's your mem?

look @ sig for mem, i ran prime95 with my 182 bus speed and original vCore, and failed after 8 mins, so i droped the bus to 180 and upped the vCore to 1.675, prime95 has been running for about 5 hours with no probs, CPU temps hitting high 40's

And yes my CPU is already unlocked for multipliers below 12.5x but i dont think ill be unlocking anything above 12.5 anytime soon, not untill i buy a better cooling system anyways.

Last edited:
prime95 just failed after 4 hours and 37 mins, with 180 x 12.5 and 1.675 vCore...anyone got a reason as to why? and what hsould i do for a stable run?

Mem will be in spec up to 200 FSB so that's not an issue.

prime95 just failed after 4 hours and 37 mins, with 180 x 12.5 and 1.675 vCore...anyone got a reason as to why? and what hsould i do for a stable run?

Prime95 temps in the high 40s are still ok. Try 1.70 vcore. If it's stable there, then start bumping up your FSB. From 180, I'd go 1-2 mhz at a time and test.

thanks i'll do just that..tonight tho, i actually want to use my computer!!

My advice is to always pump it with a good amount of voltage to begin with(1.85v, 1.9v), establish a max overclock, and then work on lower the speeds and voltage if desired. Gives you a good idea of where your processor stands. Your hardware *might* be able to withstand a high PCI bus. Your AGP will not get in the way. The hard drive and any PCI devices very well might, though.

Back