• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How does my 5.1ghz Overclock on a 10700k look?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Juiced46

I started overclocking my 10700k last night.

My hardware consists of
-MSI Z490 Tomahawk
-10700k w/Grizzly Kryonaut paste
-32GB G.Skill Trident 3600
-EVGA 850 Gold
-RTX 3070
-Coolermaster AIO 360mm w/3 120mm fans
-3 120mm Case fans front
-1 120mm exhaust fan

Testing is being done with Prime95 NO AVX

Bios voltage set to 1.325
VCCIO 1,2
VCCSA 1.25
Ring Ratio 47
XMP is on
Hyperthreading is on
LLC Mode 3

I am seeing a Vcore under load of 1.308v
Max temp has been 83* C
I do have Core 6 for some reason stays consistently 8-10* C cooler than the rest for some reason but its running @ the same speed and voltage

Its been stable for over 2 hours before I shut it down. How long should I test it to verify this is ok and any other recommended changes? I tested with AVS off as I do only Simracing gaming and the applications I use do not use AVX.

Not sure if I should continue to lower voltage or leave it be? My Vcore seems alot lower than some of the other 5.1 tests I have seen( most other posts appear Vcore is in the 1.32-1.35 range) so I want to confirm my settings are OK? or did I win the lottery with this chip?

Lastly, what Benchmark software is good to use to compare and what score range should I be in for 5.0-5.1

Looks good at a high level.

1. I'd imagine you can lower VCCSA/IO. It's 32GB but you can probably use stock or .1V over stock values there (1.05 and 0.95 IIRC).
2. Max temp of 83C in what P95 test? Small FFT? Blend?
3. Temperature variations in cores is normal. Much more than what you are seeing isn't.. but not much you can do about it.
4. I like to stress test for at least a few hours. If it's stable for you though, it's stable.
5. The goal with overclocking is to use the least amount of voltage needed to be stable.

Looks good at a high level.

1. I'd imagine you can lower VCCSA/IO. It's 32GB but you can probably use stock or .1V over stock values there (1.05 and 0.95 IIRC).
2. Max temp of 83C in what P95 test? Small FFT? Blend?
3. Temperature variations in cores is normal. Much more than what you are seeing isn't.. but not much you can do about it.
4. I like to stress test for at least a few hours. If it's stable for you though, it's stable.
5. The goal with overclocking is to use the least amount of voltage needed to be stable.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I forgot to mention, the max temp of 83*C is with Prime95 test running Small FFTs/No AVX

I will try to keep lowering voltage to see if I can drop the temps a little bit more and adjust VCCSA/IO

Just make sure you only change one voltage at a time so if you crash during testing you know which voltage was the issue.

Vcore then vccsa/io is the order I would do it in.

Just make sure you only change one voltage at a time so if you crash during testing you know which voltage was the issue.

Thanks. That is what I just exactly did. I lowered bios voltage by .005 and re running the test. Been stable for 60 mins so far with steady temps of 79*C. Vcore is just under 1.30 at the moment and staying stable. I will mess with the VCCSA/IO after this. Glad to see temps coming down as well.

Just wanted to give an update. I have got Vcore down to about 1.29 and input your recommended vccsa/io. Tests have been stable and temps dropped to an average of 76-77*C

Tried some gaming and max temps were in the 55-57*C range. Very happy with the result so far.

I do sim racing on Triple 1440p monitors and the games I play are heavy on single core performance. I am debating on trying a 5.2 OC but it is running very well at 5.1 I do not know if I want to mess with it. I do see some FPS drops time to time under certain scenarios though which is related to the CPU and not GPU.

That is a decent drop in temps.

Save your current settings in your bios that way you can easily return to them if trying for 5.2 doesn't work.

1. Set multi to 52 and see if you can get into windows.
2. Raise vcore until you can get into windows. (1.35-1.4v max IMO for 24/7 usage if temps are fine.)
3. Then stress it.
4. If it fails increase vcore until stable or temps are out of control.
5. If fails repeatedly , clear CMOS and reload your 5.1 settings and carry on gaming.

Your success will depend on the quality of your chip might get lucky or you might already be at the max. Let us know how it goes.

Save your current settings in your bios that way you can easily return to them if trying for 5.2 doesn't work.

2. Raise vcore until you can get into windows. (1.35-1.4v max IMO for 24/7 usage if temps are fine.)
3. Then stress it.
5. If fails repeatedly , clear CMOS and reload your 5.1 settings and carry on gaming.

Your success will depend on the quality of your chip might get lucky or you might already be at the max. Let us know how it goes.

I have not had much time to mess with it at 5.2 yet. I did a quick change to 52 and set voltage in bios to 1.35. (v core I didnt get a chance to look at) it booted to windows. It froze up in Prime95 within 30 secs. I gave up for now as I have been super busy this week. Should I adjust anything else like LLC, Ring Ratio etc when going to 5.2 or leave it as is for now and just adjust voltage as I have been doing?

3. Then stress it.

So I was able to put more time in with the 5.2 overclock. I have had it semi-stable for over 30 mins but I am getting some WHEA L2 Cache errors. It keeps showing 2 to 3 errors but does not crash.

I have tried voltage up to 1.40v in bios with with LLC6 it drops down to roughly 1.32-1.33vcore. (MSI's LLC is backwards) I have settled at LLC4 with vcore around 1.34 ring ratio I have tested at 48-49. It stays stable in Prime95 no AVX for 30 mins. Max temps I am seeing are 89-90c. Sometimes it will crash during testing or sometimes it just shows the WHEA errors.

There are a few things I am unsure of.
-Do I disable Intel Speed Step Technology?
- Do I want more or less vDroop with LLC settings?
-Should I change my long duration power package? Currently it is set to Auto.
-Some videos I see guys that are OCing these to 5.2-5.3 are seeing a 275w cpu draw, Mine is around 215w. Is something limiting this?
-I am unsure what is causing my WHEA errors during testing. How do I know what is causing this?

I tested gaming on 5.2 and it did not crash and temps stayed sub 60c. The difference form 5.1 to 5.2 is a good jump with my setup for what I play. Iracing needs good single core performance and with my Triple 1440p/144hz monitors I was seeing 120fps on 51, 144fps on 52. I think I can get 52 stable, I am just unsure the avenue to take here.

If you are stable and not crashing during gaming, then you are stable IMO. Don't waste time tuning for stress testing since that's not actually how you use your setup. Especially given your temps while gaming I would say leave it as is and enjoy the extra FPS. :thup:

Back